Thursday, November 6, 2008

sound investment

November 14 is my Annual Disney Pass renewal date. i actually purchased my renewed ticket this past Saturday so i would have it when the old one expires. i understand that this could seem like a "frivolous purchase" to make, given the state of the economy. however...

by the numbers:
...number of times i will have used my current Annual Pass when it expires: 19 (they will tell you when you renew your pass at one of the ticket windows--and i actually went fewer times this year than i have in the past)
...cost of a One-Day Pass (keeping in mind that a Park Hopper, which i often do, would be even more expensive): $75 (Park Hopper would have been $125)
...cost of parking per day: $12
...amount i would have spent on admission & parking: $1653
...cost to renew my Annual Pass (i can go 365 days a year, park hop as much as i wish and my parking is included): $340
...savings: $1313 (which is probably even greater when you consider that at least 8 trips to the parks, if not more, would have been at the Park Hopper price!)

so, even after you factor in gas & whatever food or drinks i may purchase while there, i *still* saved money by having my Annual Pass! now *that* is what i call getting my money's worth out of my entertainment budget! hooray for wise investments!

13 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Thursday, November 06, 2008 1:19:00 PM  

That is a ridiculously awesome price for the year. I'm jealous, but I'm still in Disney withdrawal mode.

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, November 06, 2008 1:35:00 PM  

Joe: I'm telling you, it's a great deal! I'm sorry you're still in whitdrawal mode. I can totally understand. I used to go through that when I got the lesser pass that had blackout dates and no parking included.

Debi Thursday, November 06, 2008 2:14:00 PM  

I've often wondered how much your annual pass cost. (But somehow it seemed tacky to ask, you know.) I think that's an unbelievably awesome deal! But frankly, for all the fabulous publicity you give them, they ought to give it to you for free! :)

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, November 06, 2008 2:18:00 PM  

Debi: Not tacky or personal at all. It's public knowledge, right on their website. =) But thank you for being so considerate about it, just in case. With all I save, I fell like it practically *is* free!

*krystyn* Thursday, November 06, 2008 3:04:00 PM  

I didn't know there were different pases with and w/o black out dates. I remember you had the other one before as I recall you posting about black out dates.

That is an awesome purchase with fantastic savings. TOTALLY worth it..they should give it to you free though, like Debi said. :-)

Nichole M Thursday, November 06, 2008 5:55:00 PM  

The cost of *your* annual pass is almost as much as mine. Actually, it's only a few dollars more than mine. Yours is a spectacular deal!

Anonymous,  Thursday, November 06, 2008 6:31:00 PM  

Dawn, if you *didn't* renew your annual pass I was going to have to question your sanity. Given how much you enjoy it and use it, it's a no brainer as far as fun investments goes. :-)

kreed Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:50:00 PM  

That is a great deal. I would pay way more than that if I lived close enough to visit more often - there is so much to see and do!

~**Dawn**~ Friday, November 07, 2008 10:37:00 AM  

Krystyn: There are three levels of Annual Passes. There is the base one that does not include parking and has blackout dates. There is the one that I have (no blackout dates & includes parking). And then there is one higher than mine which is the same thing I have plus unlimited admission to the two water parks. Disneyland actually offers even more variations than Disney World, I believe, but I think Nichole might know more about that than I do.

Nichole: It does end up being a better deal for me since I have four parks to your two. =/ But either way, it's worth it, don't you think?

Daniel: I certainly get my money's worth out of it! That's the best barometer to judge if it's money well spent, in my opinion. I don't even question it. I factor it into my yearly entertainment budget.

kreed: I always wonder how people manage to do it all while they are on vacation. I've had an Annual Pass since I moved here (almost seven years ago now) and as often as I go, there are *still* things that I am just noticing for the first time!

jenny Monday, November 10, 2008 12:37:00 AM  

IT COSTS $75.00 TO GET INTO DISNEY WORLD?!?!?!?!

Seriously?

I'll add that to the list of reasons why I'll never go.


On the other hand, what a tremendous deal for you, the season pass is a no-brainer. I'll live vicariously through you :)

Anonymous,  Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:52:00 PM  

Wow, that's not bad value actually. We spent almost that much just to go for two days and I really didn't see much. I think I'd consider a yearly pass if (when?) I move out to Florida actually as even if you went say five times you'd still be saving money.... hmmm.... I'm sure if I was living there that everyone who came to visit would want to go to Disney anyway - buying the yearly pass would definitely help.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, November 17, 2008 12:32:00 PM  

Jenny: It only costs that much if you get a one-day pass. Mostly only locals would come to Disney for a single day. When people vacation at WDW, they typically purchase a multi-day pass. The more days you purchase, the more significantly the price per day drops. ;-) For example, a seven-day adult ticket? $32/day ($39/day if you give it the Park Hopper option)--compared to $70 (or $125 with Park Hopper) for a single day pass.

thisgirlsjourney: That is *exactly* my philosophy behind my pass. I pay one price and as long as I go to each of the four parks one time in that year, it pays for itself (when you add in the cost of parking which is included in my pass as well). After that, it's like playing "for free" the rest of the year! And yes, almost everyone who comes to visit wants to go. What I really love is that I can go for as long as I want: all day or just a few hours or just for dinner at a favorite restaurant or even get there & stay for a very short time because it's raining, too hot, too crowded, etc -- and never feel like I am out the money!

Anonymous,  Monday, November 17, 2008 4:54:00 PM  

Yeah, I was thinking you'd be so much more keen to take people if it's free for you! My cousin lived on the Gold Coast of Australia for a while and it drove her nuts that EVERY visitor from NZ expected them to have the money to go to the theme parks there.

I think you're totally right about going to dinner or a short visit too. When you've spent so much on a ticket normally you feel like you have to squeeze every ounce of fun out of the day, even if you're tired and grumpy. I think I'd go just to watch the fireworks to cheer myself up once in a while... :-)

Have you been to La Nouba before? I really want to do that.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP