Thursday, November 13, 2008

if only my stomach were as endless as the menu options...

i went back to Epcot on Saturday for the final weekend of Food & Wine Festival. (ha! i just realized that i was there for the very first day (September 26) and the next to last day of the Festival.)

on my second circuit around the world...

...i started off at the Mouse Trap...

...with a trio of cheeses. starting at the far left, they are Dorothea (Holland), Manchego (Spain), and Asiago Pressato (Italy). the Asiago was very mild & almost like butter--very yummy! the Manchego was very dry & rather sharp--also yummy. the most interesting was the Dorothea. it was had a slightly sharp taste & was a little on the dry side, but it was made from potato! i tried a very little nibble to start with, unsure of what to expect of potato cheese (??) but it was actually really good! it tasted just like cheese but had a slightly starchy aftertaste.

i moved along to Vienna, Austria...

...where i ordered the beef goulash with a bacon dumpling. (although i admit to being very torn between this and the Tafelspitz--boiled brisket with red potatoes and horseradish cream sauce!) the goulash was very good, like a hearty stew. i had the Leth Riesling with it--by far the driest Riesling i ever remember tasting! it was still slightly sweet, but nowhere near as sweet as the other Rieslings i've had in the past. i'm no afficianado, but i know it tasted good with the goulash! ;-)

i did some wandering around at this point, enjoying the perfect weather and the moderate crowds (there are some photos in the complete album linked at the bottom of this post)...

...until i got to Krakow, Poland...

...and had *this*. this being the Chopin Vodka Raspberry Cocktail. YUM. you could not taste even a hint of the vodka, just the sweet raspberry puree. it was slightly frozen--not a slushie consistency, but not pure liquid either. did i mention YUM?? because YUM. i almost questioned whether there was even any vodka in it at all... but the slight buzz that hit me when i finished it verified it was there. by the way? YUM.

and finally, dessert in San Juan, Puerto Rico...

...Brazo Gitano--a guava jelly roll with shredded coconut. just the right amount of sweet...and the right size to fit in the space i had left in my very happy tummy.

there are always so many possibilities to choose from off the menu each year, but only a limited amount of room in my tummy for tasting. this worked out much better last year when Nichole and Daniel were here, because then you can each try a bite from each plate and have room for more tastes! ;-) consider that my Food & Wine Festival tip for you, if you ever go.

photos from my album:

EPCOT (2008)

12 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:11:00 PM  

I'm going to stop coming here if you keep posting stuff like this. Not fair.

OK, maybe I won't stop coming. But it's still not fair.

Janet Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:49:00 PM  

oooh the Manchego is GREAT with fig conserve or fig cake...YUM!

*krystyn* Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:41:00 PM  

I could use about 10 of those Chopin Vodka Raspberry Cocktails about now...especially since you can't taste the vodka...just perfect for me.

All that food looked good! I'll have to time a trip down there during this festival - then we get in more bites. :-)

Nichole M Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:46:00 PM  

When you first came to a Thanksgiving here and made a little wrinkly nose about wine, I never thought I'd ever read a post like this! A wine critique, a cocktail...

My work here is done. ;-)

Bickley Friday, November 14, 2008 2:50:00 AM  

The Vodka thing definitely looks YUM!

kreed Friday, November 14, 2008 7:34:00 AM  

I missed that whole side of food while we were there - too full :(
Looks like I have to go back very soon!

Jeanne Friday, November 14, 2008 7:02:00 PM  

You do realize how absolutely lucky you are to to that don't you. Love the pictures!

Anonymous,  Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:58:00 PM  

Do you know what I realized? It took a couple days for this to settle out but it is HIGHLY unusual to pair a white, even an aromatic white, with a heavy meat dish like that. I am very much impressed with your daring and how it worked out. I wonder if that Riesling would go well with my bigos (the Polish hunter's stew)? Let's try it on the 26th!

Anonymous,  Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:48:00 PM  

Yum! Sounds fun.... I think you were far more restrained than I would have been though. Oh and that cocktail sounded amazing!

Heather Monday, November 17, 2008 10:07:00 AM  

oh my as i told you earlier the last drink and dessert look so yummy...kinda glad i am not down there b/c i would be going the wrong way with weight loss! just kinda...i would love to see you guys and be in warm weather and away from freaking work.

Anonymous,  Monday, November 17, 2008 5:24:00 PM  

Oh man now I'm starving! I want to be there eating all that!

gail@more than a song Friday, November 21, 2008 10:48:00 AM  

You got some great shots at Epcot Dawn! Fun one of the close up baseballs, the Mexico pavillion I think that looks all golden, the monorail moving and I like looking across the water and monorail to the golf ball, loved your close ups of the big "golf ball" with the branches! We just always call it golf ball b/c our kids started that when they were little!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP