Monday, July 14, 2008

since you've been gone

let's just say last week was a bad internet week & leave it at that. by the time i could be online, i needed a break from all things internet. now i feel nice & refreshed. and you know what they say about absence & the heart. ;-)

in no particular order, things that have happened since i last checked in:

1. just about the time i got myself caught up on Google Reader... well... let's just say i have a lot more catching up to do. again. so if i haven't been around in a while, i promise i will be.

2. i got tagged by a whole bunch of bloggy buddies for various things, so expect those to pop up all through the week. i also didn't get to a couple of regular posts that i do, so i will catch myself up to speed there. to my knowledge, i have tags from Julie, April and Steph. anyone i missed?

3. since they faced each other in at the Trop, the Sox have gone 7-3 and the Rays 3-7. the Sox have outscored their opponents 60-30, while the Rays have been outscored 49-36. as we roll into the All Star Break, the Sox are 57-40, with a 21-29 road record, but a strong 36-11 at home. they have played 3 more games than the Rays, thanks to the Rays having a rainout in Baltimore and the Sox playing 2 games in Japan, so while both teams had 10 scheduled days off in the first "half", the Sox will get 9 in the second, while the Rays get only 7, plus a doubleheader in the middle of a 7-day roadtrip to end their season. the Rays record stands at 55-39, going 19-25 on the road and 36-14 at home. in comparison, the Rays have played 50 home games & 44 away, while the Sox have played 50 on the road & 46 at home. this bodes well for the remainder of the season, as the Sox will play 34 more games at Fenway this season, and 31 as the away team. the Rays, on the other hand, will play 43 road games and only 25 more in Tampa. i will take that schedule and see how well the Rays fare playing considerably more road games in the second half. all that to say the most important part: the Sox will start post-All Star Break with a half-game lead in the AL East.

4. Brett Favre may be considering a comeback. i know people are all over him, saying they are sick of this game. i blame the media for it. if everyone wouldn't have been riding him for a decision right after the end of a heart-breaking season, when he was worn out mentally, emotionally & physically, perhaps given the chance, he wouldn't have retired after all. everyone is entitled to their opinion. mine is that he was rushed into a decision, making it while emotionally charged, which in my experience is the worst possible time to make choices. i think he should play for as long as he can still lead a team to the playoffs. and i think it stinks that Green Bay won't let him play somewhere else, but have instead announced that if he returns to the football field, it will be as their backup QB. after everything he has meant to that franchise, i think the least they could do is set him free, if they have in fact moved on. and while i understand that they cannot outright release him (and thus risk facing him as a division rival -- and the fact that they fear that speaks volumes), they *could* trade him. while he may not be the greatest QB in NFL history, he is by far my favorite player, because his enthusiasm & love for that game cannot be touched by many, if any at all.

5. i have photos on my camera from over a month ago. i really need to get them properly saved & backed up. as soon as i do that, i will have new albums for my trip to Connecticut and the Sox game i went to. you know, for those of you interested in such things.

6. lest i be remiss, Youk hit his first career grand slam; Wakefield pitched another beautiful game *and* got run support; the Sox scored 18 runs on the Twins; Lugo took a 4-6 week Matt Clement Vacation; JD Drew continues to shine, aching back or not; Manny is back to being Manny from home runs to RBI to hiding in the Monstah (drinking Gatorade & making call on cell phones); Matsuzaka never ceases to make games feel like an eternity; Jeemer is still loading up bases with opposing batters, but at least now he's getting out of the inning; Pedroia is on a tear at the plate & appears almost unstoppable; Papelbon seems to enjoy giving me heart failure when he gets called in; and Tek is finally remembering how to hit again, which does my heart good.

hmmmm... i think that's about it. expect posts at regular intervals to begin... soon.

13 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Monday, July 14, 2008 2:06:00 PM  

Yay! You're back! And in only slightly more time than it takes Casey to go from home to second!

Ted D Monday, July 14, 2008 3:36:00 PM  

WooHoo, you're back!

You've been missed, and I can't wait to see the pictures!

marianne Monday, July 14, 2008 4:00:00 PM  

welcome back, I was wondering where you were! just glad to hear you're not sick or anything. looking forward to your pics. :)

Nichole M Monday, July 14, 2008 4:29:00 PM  

I seriously could've kicked Papelbon's Irish-jig-dancin-butt for what he did to us yesterday. Almost blowing it... ::shakes fist at screen::

Jeanne Monday, July 14, 2008 6:37:00 PM  

Glad to see you back. Re: Favre..agree totally. To have him be the backup would just suck. Let him go. Didn't something similar happen with Joe Montana and he ended up at KC his last season? And yes the media should never have been pushing for a decision the way they did, even before the season ended.

*krystyn* Monday, July 14, 2008 8:59:00 PM  

Glad that you are back...I miss your posts. :-)

Ingrid Monday, July 14, 2008 10:59:00 PM  

Did you watch the derby? Wow.

One more reason to LOVE baseball.

Mega Monday, July 14, 2008 11:56:00 PM  

You're right on Favre.

As a Bears fan, I hate typing that.

mimiscraps Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:37:00 AM  

I don't think it was so much the media that pushed him out although I agree they didn't help. I think the Packers management also had some pushing. He would have been a free agent this year. Brett talked about that on On The Record with Greta I caught parts of it. I'm still very torn on this issue. But I do believe they should let him go if they aren't going to let him play. But it's also not fair to Aaron Rodgers.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:52:00 PM  

Great catch-up post!

We've discussed the Favre thing here ad-nauseum. Not surprisingly, my hubby and I differ on it. He's closer to your line of thought :)

I also have photos on my camera almost a month old that I haven't transferred or backed up. I thought I was the only one, LOL! I blame it on my laptop dying yet again, and being without it for almost 3 weeks. And I have just now got all of my old photos reloaded, but I do need to transfer my new ones. Glad I'm not alone :)

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:35:00 PM  

Joe: I am indeed back! Side thought -- who do you think would win a footrace: Casey or Mirabelli? (No chicken parm sandwiches at the finish line.)

Ted: And I *still* have not gotten them off my camera. ::sigh::

Marianne: Sick & tired of fickle internet! LOL!

Nichole: And he managed to do it again in the All Star Game -- except this time it was the catcher's fault. Might I point out that catcher is from the Rays. =P

Jeanne: It has definitely been compared to Montana.

Krystyn: It is good to be missed. =)

Ingrid: I had it on while I was doing other things but I finally gave in & sat down to watch Hamilton.

Mega: The fact that you can say that as a Bears fan says something.

Mimi: I think the combination of the team pushing for a decision and the media sensationalizing this whole thing contributed more than either is willing to admit. It's not fair to Rodgers & I am fine with the Packers saying "we've moved on" but for crying out loud, Favre as a backup is a disgrace. There is no way he should be holding a clipboard. If they are moving on, then move on & at least trade Favre. (I don't expect they will risk just letting him be a free agent.) Although for the love of all things decent, do NOT trade him to the Colts, Giants or Bucs. LOL!

Stacy: What is your take on Favre? And no you are not alone. Still. And I don't have a good reason like you do.

gail@more than a song Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:39:00 PM  

Why is it that when I don't get on the computer much for a few days my google reader gets like ridiculously full!
And what the heck is going on with Favre! I'm not sure what to think, but might need to discuss/disagree with Stacy and Tim. :)

~**Dawn**~ Friday, July 18, 2008 9:07:00 AM  

Gail: I am telling you, it's the law of blog. The number of times people post is directly proportionate to how much time you have to check your feed reader. More time = less posting. Less time = multiple posts per day.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP