Tuesday, July 1, 2008

oh but you have no idea

if you're a Sox fan, you groaned last night when Tito neglected to pinch hit for the ninth inning rally killer. if you even moderately know me, you know to not even get me started on my feelings for E6 right now. you might even share them to some degree.

but what you don't know is that last night sucked more than you were privileged to. OMG you have no idea.

so we're all in this packed corridor last night moving toward the escalator & all of a sudden a fight breaks out literally two feet in front of me. (may i point out here that i am a) not a very big girl and b) not at *all* a fighter.) it started with three guys (two very classy Rays fans jumped a Sox fan, who seriously wasn't doing anything more than singing Sweet Caroline after the Sox lost, so not like he was rubbing a defeat into the Rays fans' faces -- and believe me, i am the first one to be disgusted when my fellow Sox fans reflect badly on the rest of us) but by the end, about ten people were throwing punches and a bunch more were screaming & shoving. i was literally on the edge of it all (when i say i was two feet away, that was no embellishment for the sake of drama) and with so many people there, i had nowhere to go. i didn't get hit but i got shoved a few times, and i have *no* problem saying i was scared. security took forever to get there because there were so many people packing the hallway who would not get out of the way. i could hear security yelling for them to move aside, but they were too busy trying to watch the fight to listen. it was ridiculous. the security guys finally got through & pinned down the people who were doing the actual fighting. by the time i was able to start moving forward again, arrests were being made.

THEN. oh yes, there is a "then". i should have had you pull up a chair. maybe offered some refreshments.

*then* i go to leave and it is pouring down buckets of rain. and they were making people keep moving out into it at this point. it's thundering & lightning and the rain is pounding down so hard it hurts. if you've ever been in the rain in Florida, you understand what i mean. i never experienced rain like it does here. the parking lot was a lake. and i was parked about as far away as i possibly could be and still be on the Rays property. so i am slogging through this water that is so deep in areas that it's pouring into my shoes but i was already soaked through to the skin about twenty seconds after exiting the building anyway so what's the difference.

here is where it gets interesting. that far lot? is grass. and between me & the grass? a puddle of rain water about six feet across that stretches the entire length of the parking area like a moat, so it isn't like i can go around or jump over it. at this point, what the hell do i care? it's not like i could get wetter. so i trudge forward. and find myself shin deep in a mud puddle. i would have cried except all i wanted was to be in my car safely at this point. thank God the saga ends there, because if my car would have been stuck? i would be in a padded cell right now. thankfully the ground under my car was packed solid and most of the rain was running off & turning into the mud moat i had slopped through.

i have never been so relieved to be home probably in my whole life. photos are forthcoming. of the game, not the ensuing fight or my swim through the parking lot. either of which i never wish to relive again. come to think of it, i could do without reliving that game as well. i hope to God that a) Wakey remembers that he is lights out in that hell hole (otherwise known as the Trop to those of you with less raw hatred for it than i presently feel), 2) Wakey doesn't end up on the DL after pitching here which has been known to happen to him in recent years on crappy artificial surfaces, and D) we can show some run support to the tune of us actually winning a game, because if we slink out of Tampa following another sweep and those freaking Sunbeams three-and-a-half games in first place, i will not be held accountable.

11 with their own thoughts:

Ingrid Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:29:00 AM  

I'm sorry you were scared :(

It's such an out of control feeling when a whole group of people are going insane like that and you KNOW they have no regard for who they're hurting.

Rain in Florida is wild. Each drop is like, a tablespoon of water, and it comes down so fast!

Anonymous,  Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:44:00 AM  

UGH...When I told you to have a great time at the game I didn't mean get stuck in a fight on your way out and trudge through a muddy river to get to your car!!! Sorry the Sox lost!

Ted D Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:13:00 AM  

Dawn, you've just got to bob and weave! Seriously, I hate you had such a bad experience from the loss, to the fight, to the swimming you had to do to get to the car.

When I saw Casey on deck I got a little excited, but Tito played the percentages I guess. You're starting to win me over on the Lugo thing, but I'm not giving up on him yet. I still think he'll play a big part this season.

Nichole M Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:23:00 AM  

I'm so sorry it all turned out to be so gross. :-( That fight must have been scary. Are you going to go back this season?

Catie Pearl Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:44:00 AM  

Leaving the game was pretty crazy, I didn't see the fight but it happened right behind my parents. I did almost hit a Devil Rays fan for talking smack and banging his stupid cow bell on the metal next to my ear, instead I just grabbed the cowbell so it would stop ringing! I'll be there tonight and I agree Wake is a beast here!

*krystyn* Tuesday, July 01, 2008 12:40:00 PM  

That sounds like a rough night - glad you made it out safely after all of that - geesh!

Just wondering if you are suffering some after effects because in your last paragraph you list a few items after "i hope to God" a), then 2) and then D)

Hee hee...just wondering!

kreed Wednesday, July 02, 2008 12:52:00 AM  

Glad to see nothing has changed while I have taken a blog hiatus you're still lovin' the Sox!

Anonymous,  Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:27:00 AM  

Of COURSE we'll be 3 1/2 out tonight. At this point, a big road win would be surprising.

It's all fine to watch the Rays get excited -- I wish our team would show a little life -- but it got annoying on TV the last few nights watching Rays fans acting like they've supported their team for more than ... oh, let's call it a week. Must've been fun in person.

Bring on the Yankees. The Rays are good, but I can't stomach the a-holes OR their fans.

Rooster Wednesday, July 02, 2008 2:50:00 PM  

Dawn,

Long time no speak! You got two out of your three wishes anyway...

a) Wake was lights-out!
2) He did not end up on the DL
D) but he got NO run support!

Tito got schooled in the 8th inning (I wrote about it in more detail on my site). Maddon sees Cash is coming up first in the inning, and guesses Wake is done, so Tito will pich hit Casey. He sends Garza back out and waits for Tito to send in Casey, which he does, then Maddon yanks Garza and brings in the lefty - forcing Tito to take the lefty match-up or pull Casey, losing him for the night!

How did he fall for that?

Jeanne Wednesday, July 02, 2008 7:55:00 PM  

OMG as if them losing wasn't bad enough. Sorry you had to go through all that. RYC: my header is actually from our trip to Old Saybrook, so it's a Connecticut gull. hehe

K-Sea Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:55:00 PM  

WOW that is a horrible story. When I was reading it I kept thinking it couldn't get worse..AND IT DID

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP