Wednesday, December 9, 2009

and of course i was sitting right up front.

tonight was our "Candlelight & Carols" Advent service at church. it's one of my favorite services. the church is lit almost entirely by candles (one spotlight shines softly on the altar) & we pause to think, to reflect, to find peace in the midst of all the bustle associated with Christmas. it is designed to feel like a refuge in the center of a whirling storm.

we reach a point in the service when we are pausing to remember loved ones who have passed away. the church is silent & reverent.

and then, i hear it. that unmistakable whine.

a mosquito.

and he is buzzing all around me. first by this ear, then the other. lands on my neck, my hair, my arm. i cannot just allow a mosquito to land on me & nibble. just can't. so i am trying to discreetly swat him away. but he.won't.leave. he just keeps hovering. and whining. faster & faster. tormenting me.

and there i am, swatting away at the mosquito. but the church is dark & no one can *see* it. so i just look insane. arms flailing, hands waving, trying to defend myself. from a mosquito. AT CHRISTMASTIME. only in Florida is this an issue.

i can't tell you how grateful i was when, at the end of the service, the guy sitting behind me tapped my shoulder & said "i just want you to know, i know you're not crazy. i saw the mosquito. i wanted to swat him for you when i saw him land on your hair but i thought you might turn around & hit *me*."

so much for some quiet moments to breathe & re-center myself.

8 with their own thoughts:

Valerie Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:29:00 PM  

haha! hilarious! That guy was funny!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:23:00 PM  

Oh my goodness, a mosquito in church would drive me bonkers! How awesome of that guy to let you know you weren't crazy and at least he (hahaha!) didn't think you were, LOL!

*krystyn* Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:50:00 PM  

wow - i'm shocked the guy behind you said that. too funny!

Anonymous,  Friday, December 11, 2009 4:34:00 AM  

We are plagued by flies right now with the heat, and mosquitoes are not far away.

Oh and I saw you want the cool Tupperware vege and fruit storers. They are great! Though I'd recommend bigger rather than smaller ones.

Reverend Ref + Friday, December 11, 2009 10:41:00 AM  

Not too many mosquitoes and flies when it's cold enough to freeze the communion wine -- and no, I am NOT kidding.

I found my communion wine frozen solid when I went into the sacristy to prep for a home communion visit.

Pat Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:24:00 PM  

At least that guy gave you some peace of mind. He knew you weren't crazy! LOL!

Julie Monday, December 14, 2009 2:45:00 PM  

Not to laugh at the misfortunes of others...::giggle giggle::...but I needed that! Thanks for sharing! :o)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP