Sunday, February 21, 2016

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: 2016 - Week 7

Checking in for the week of February 14 through February 20.

WHAT I READ |
The Dark Tower (Stephen King) - Feelings I have had while reading over the last week: Sad (over the loss of a character), devastated (over the loss of another), heartbroken (over two characters mourning the loss of the second aforementioned character), unsure (of the introduction of a new character),  fascinated (by the meeting that is taking place), trepidatious (because I know it's just a matter of time until there is more loss and also the return of a character that squicks me out), and bewildered (at how this is all going to play out). I have roughly half the final book in the series remaining. Which sounds like I'm closer to finished than I actually am.
The Ambassador's Daughter (Pam Jenoff) - My lunchtime reading material at work. It's a little slow to get off the ground. I'm unclear if that's the fault of the book or the fact that I'm not able to read at a consistent pace, since it's only during the work week, and only after I've finished the week's chapter of The Story for church.

WHAT WE ATE|
I'm a really big fan of my Pumpkin Chili, which I made on Sunday, when I could allow it to really simmer away for several hours, instead of the shortened timeframe I give it if I make it during the week. It's still good either way, but the longer cooking time really gives it more depth. Monday, we roasted a whole chicken, and served that with Garlic Parmesan Orzo and Buttery Garlic Green Beans -- two super easy sides that are just bursting with tons of flavor! We also made some fish sandwiches, spaghetti and meatballs, and grilled chicken sandwiches, as the week progressed. Saturday, I met up with Krystyn and her family at Magic Kingdom. We did a light lunch (I had mac and cheese topped with toasted panko from Friar's Nook) so we'd have room for dinner at Be Our Guest! I had never eaten there before and it did not disappoint.

CANDLE SCENTS|
Merry Cookie (BBW)
In a Winter Wonderland (YC) - Fresh air and evergreen trees. Still fully embracing the fact that it's winter!

Christmas Eve (YC) - (Yeah, yeah, I know.) This is one of those candles that has so many layers of scent that it smells different every time you catch a whiff. Sometimes spicy, sometime sweet, sometimes fruity. It reminds me of being in my grandparents' house when my Gram was baking and cooking goodies for Christmas: just a collection of delicious holiday scents that takes you back to memories of Christmases gone by.
Hollyberry (YC) - This scent is a classic. It's warm and nostalgic.
Sparkling Pine (YC) - More fresh air and evergreen. You'd think I miss snow, the way I'm drawn to these scents, but really, I just miss the way the air smells when it cold and crisp with fresh fallen snow.

WHAT THIS WEEK LOOKED LIKE|
Flowers and chocolate are nice, but this is my kind of Valentine from my Valentine!


Almost twilight.


After I crested the hill, the sun was a fiery sliver sinking into the tree line.


Can you see the sunbeams? You have to look carefully, but they're there, streaming out from the corner and into the blue. I feel like there's a life metaphor in there somewhere.


Spent Saturday at Magic Kingdom with Krystyn (and her family), and had a great time enjoying rides and attractions. I also got a ton of comments and compliments on my shirt (a Christmas gift, celebrating Disneyland's Diamond 60th anniversary!). I also have to say, I am a huge fan of the "Disney Photo Pass" option being included with my Annual Pass now. I can take advantage of all the in-park photo ops without dropping $15 every time I like one of the photos. I am definitely going to be making good use of the free digital downloads perk!


Rosebud napkin at Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom. Disney never misses an opportunity for details.


We ate in the forbidden west wing.


I had the Braised Pork (Coq au Vin Style), which was described as "Eight Hour Slow-cooked Pork with Mushrooms, Onions, Carrots, and Bacon served with Puréed Cauliflower and Seasonal Vegetables." What I can tell you is that every last mouthful was lick-your-plate-clean delicious. The meat was so tender, it was practically melting. The cauliflower puree was loaded with flavor. The broccolini added some fresh, slightly crunchy texture. Did I mention delicious? Because it was.


I was incredibly conflicted over the dessert cart. There were at least four things I wanted. I narrowed it down to two, but when the server started with me (at our table of six), I still hadn't decided, so I asked him to come back around to me last. I finally determined that, being my first time dining here, I was obligated to try The Grey Stuff (from the menu: "Chocolate Shell, Cookie Crème topped with Lumiere’s special “Grey Stuff”" which was a cookies-and-cream mousse!). The server had been making "Hidden Mickeys" on each dessert plate with melted chocolate. He said I must have known that the last person to order dessert gets the special Mickey rosebud instead. (I didn't, and he may have been pulling my leg or not, but lookit how pretty!) Oh and the dishes do not like. It *is* delicious!


The enchanted rose.


And, of course, I stopped for a photo op with our gracious host!

4 with their own thoughts:

*krystyn* Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:46:00 PM  

Yay - Be Our Guest dinner!!! Next time I am getting what you got because my chicken was just NOT that exciting. :) The Grey Stuff - yum yum yum!!

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:07:00 PM  

Chicken can be so hit or miss, Krystyn. I got chicken when I ate at Citricos with Nichole and Tracy. They did it "sous vide" and it was incredible. So tender and full of flavor and not dry at all.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Friday, February 26, 2016 2:18:00 PM  

Very cool picture of the sunbeams!

I love to vicariously through you and your eating experiences at Disney. Can't wait for the next big eating festival :)

~**Dawn**~ Friday, February 26, 2016 2:28:00 PM  

Coming soon, Stacy! My first round is planned for March 6!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP