Sunday, February 7, 2016

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: 2016 - Week 5

Checking in for the week of January 31 through February 6.

WHAT I READ |
The Dark Tower (Stephen King) - Still plugging away at this beast. I have to admit that this book has been more gross and disturbing, for me, than most of the other previous six. I'm too committed to the series to not find out how it ends, but I'll be glad when I'm done with this one.

WHAT WE ATE|
We went to Olive Garden, after seeing a movie on Sunday afternoon, and actually *didn't* get the soup-salad-breadsticks deal. I got MEAL and it was so *so* good. During the week, we had BLTs; ravioli and a salad; linguine with clam sauce; and some leftover beef stroganoff from the freezer (which was a test that it passed! yay for freezer friendly meals!). Saturday, we finally got around to trying a new recipe I've wanted to try for ages -- Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Pancetta and Peas -- which we had with some grilled marinated chicken thighs.

CANDLE SCENTS|
White Christmas (YC)
Christmas Cookie (YC) - Buttery sugar cookies smell delicious.
Luscious Plum (YC) - I think this one is one of the biggest surprises for me. It's sweet and fruity without being summery and I like that. It's a great change of pace for the winter's plethora of "fresh" and "spicy" scents.
Frolic and Play (YC) - Spearmint is such a fun twist on the season's typical use of peppermint.

WHAT THIS WEEK LOOKED LIKE|
This particular Sunday sunrise demanded I break out the big girl camera, instead of just my phone.


Retro calendar art for February at home.


And at work.


Super fog! There's a building directly across the street from that utility pole.


These cookies came in my holiday Try the World box and they tasted like the cookies my Gram would make with her leftover pie crust dough. Such an unexpected happiness.


Morning has broken.

4 with their own thoughts:

*krystyn* Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:33:00 AM  

That "around the world" deal sounds so awesome!!! How fun!!

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:42:00 AM  

It's really interesting, Krystyn! If you Google "Try the World" you can more about it. It's a subscription box thingie and there are some really interesting contents in each of them. I got it as a birthday gift, so I get a box every other month for the whole year!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:22:00 PM  

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I admire anyone (namely, YOU), who can read these chunkster books, and anyone who reads the classics. Admirable traits and ones I certainly do not possess.... keep going, you'll be glad to complete the series and then move on to something (probably) a little lighter :)

Spaghetti squash is still on my culinary bucket list, along with dozens of other items and methods. I looked at one last week and thought, still need to try that, but it sat in the grocery instead of jumping in my cart. I'll have to check out that recipe too!

We had a photo-worthy sunset last night. Red sky at night, sailor's delight. I had to go pull out my big girl camera too. By the time I got back outside, it was not nearly as brilliant. Amazing colors some times :)

Yummy, cookies that evoke memories of dearly beloved grandmothers. It doesn't get any better than that.

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:35:00 PM  

Stacy: That spaghetti squash recipe makes me drool just thinking about it. It was so tasty! I got out my big girl camera last night for a sunset too! It's crazy how just a few seconds can totally change a sky, isn't it?

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP