Saturday, December 1, 2012

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: November 2012

A photo of me:
I know there was at least one, but it is still living on Nichole's camera. And that's ok, because the only one I can think of is...ummm...scary. Heh.

1) Candle scents this month:
Spiced Pumpkin. Harvest. Season's Blessings. Lakeside Birch. Pumpkin Pie. Harvest Welcome. Apple Pumpkin. Be Thankful. Cranberry Chutney. Pumpkin Buttercream. Maple Pancakes. Mountain Lodge. MacIntosh Spice. Autumn Leaves. Cinnamon Stick. Caramel Pecan Pie. Autumn Wreath. Red Apple Wreath. Mandarin Cranberry.

2) What I am reading this month:
Knuckler: My Life with Baseball's Most Confounding Pitch (Tim Wakefield with Tony Massarotti) has remained untouched. Not that it isn't good. I have just been reading other things. I'll get back to it soon. I completed Ransom (Danielle Steel), which was ok. It wasn't like her typical romances. The story was predictable but the characters took a much different track than I would have expected from her--not that there's anything wrong with that. I am nearly finished with The Gunslinger (Stephen King), which is the first in a series. It's been a very interesting read, different from the sort of book I usually choose. I am curious about the subsequent books though!

3) Top three songs I was drawn to:
It was another month of quiet. I turned the radio on occasionally, but most of the time I drove with the sound turned low enough that I couldn't really hear it above being "white noise."

4) Movies I saw:
Hold onto your hats. We went to the movies *twice* this month. The first movie we went to see was T's choice. He had been wanting to see "Flight" with Denzel Washington. It was a pretty intense movie and not exactly what I was expecting to see! When we left, I was grateful for two things: that we weren't in those seats that mimic the motion on the screen and that I wasn't getting on a plane any time soon. On Black Friday, we went to see "Lincoln"--my choice this time! It's not the sort of movie where there are unexpected twists and turns. I mean, it's history, so we already know what happens (or should, anyway!). It was really well done though. I thought the parts were played very powerfully and I am glad we saw it.

5) Favorite tv moments of the month:
The Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. A scene from an episode of Private Practice (I slacked off and didn't record the specifics at the time, now I've forgotten which one), when Addison asks an old friend, "How did you find the strength?" and her friend replied "We're women, the strength finds us." All the Patriots games that have been aired in my area recently.

6) New recipe tried this month:
Sweet Potato Coins with Gorgonzola and Bacon. I made this for Thanksgiving. I learned a couple of lessons about this one. Do NOT slice the rounds too thin or they will overcook. And they are better fresh out of the oven than they are reheated (I made them earlier in the day, then reheated them while the turkey was resting). I will make them again, because they were very tasty, especially with the bacon and gorgonzola, but I will remember these lessons when I do!

7) Restaurants where I ate:
Biergarten (Germany pavilion, Epcot). Tutto Italia (Italy pavilion, Epcot). Captain's Grille (Yacht Club resort, Disney's Boardwalk). Ruby Tuesday. ABC Commissary. Olive Garden.

8) Five things I am loving this month:
1. Autumn scented candles. There is something that is so cozy about the spicy, warm scents of this season.
2. Feeling inspired and creative when it comes to decorating the house for the holidays.
3. Our new pots and pans that we ordered. It's good to have a set that is well-made. They are an investment, to be sure, but it was time to replace and upgrade what we had.
4. A whole month of a/c off and windows wide open. I have waited so long for this weather.
5. Taking the time to celebrate Thanksgiving before moving along to the next holiday. There's time to enjoy each one for what it is. No need to rush one to get to the next.

9) A goal I had for this month:
To have a clean kitchen when I head bed. It's so easy to get sleepy and lazy, just leaving it for the morning. But it's less scrubbing if I do it right away. I would say I succeeded at this 26 or 27 days out of 30. Not too bad!

10) This month I looked forward to:
Spending time with Nichole and Daniel at Food and Wine Fest, and celebrating my first Thanksgiving in our new house with my new husband--so much to be thankful for this year!

11) Something I want to be thankful for this month:
This life. Everyone says it but I truly am so grateful for this life that I have and the one I am building with T. So many want for so much, but I am content in the best possible way. That is no small thing.

12) A photo I took this month:

2 with their own thoughts:

Nichole M Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:20:00 PM  

In my defense, they're not on my camera anymore. They're hanging out on my hard drive. I'll get them on picasa someday!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP