Thursday, January 26, 2012

In Review: 2011

Oh, what the heck. I was going to wait til next year to start doing these, but it's still January and there's no time like the present, right?


1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I had surgery and saw sequoia trees. Both were pretty humbling, though in very different ways.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I had some goals, which I completed in part. I have loftier goals for 2012.
    3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
    I had a couple of friends give birth. It was the year of the boy.
    4. Did anyone close to you die?
    Two of my dad's cousins died in 2011. I hadn't seen them in years, but we saw them fairly often when I was growing up. T's mother also died, and while I cannot say I was close to her, I am obviously close to him, and I wish I had been able to meet her.
    5. Which countries states did you visit?
    Let's be serious here. I have a more likely chance of visiting other states than other countries. This year, I only visited California. I did go three times though (twice related to my surgery).
    6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
    A. HOUSE. Seriously. After a year and a half of searching, it's time to be done with this nonsense.
    7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
    March 23: The day I had surgery.


    July 4: The day I got engaged. 
    8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
    It was more "ours" than "mine," but building up the savings account. It has a way to go, but it's off to a good start.
    9. What was your biggest failure?
    There was a time or two that I could have been a better friend and fiancee.
    10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
    I don't know that it qualifies as either an illness or injury, per se, but I had surgery to remove some fibroids. Other than that, a couple of mild colds was it.
    11. What was the best thing you bought?
    My wedding dress! It is beautiful and I love it, *and* I got it at 45% off! 
    12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
    Dr Parker! My surgery could not have gone better, thanks to him.
    13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
    My regular GYN. Grrr!
    14. Where did most of your money go?
    Paying down debt. Medical bills. Rent.
    15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
    Successful surgery. And, hello! Diamond!
    16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
    Lady Antebellum's "Hello World." It really stirred up a lot of reminders to be mindful of what is important.
    17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
    a) Happier or sadder? Happier. More every day.
    b) Thinner or fatter? I weigh the same, but I am five fibroids lighter.
    c) Richer or poorer? Richer, in every way.
    18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
    Getting to spend time with the people I care about most. 
    19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
    Worry.
    20. How did you spend Christmas?
    T and I celebrated at home, with our regular traditions. And then I flew to California between Christmas and New Year to celebrate Christmas with Nichole and Daniel.
    21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
    More and more.
    22. What was your favorite TV program?
    No one who knows me expects that I will pick just one. The ones I've enjoyed the most are: Parenthood. Grey's Anatomy. The Good Wife. Modern Family. Mad Men. The Big Bang Theory. Dexter. Fringe. Blue Bloods. Once Upon a Time. Pan Am.
    23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
    I don't hate. It's toxic and eats you up until you become a warped and bitter version of your former self.
    24. What was the best book you read?
    Hands down, "Atlas Shrugged." It gave me a *lot* to chew on.
    25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
    I am not one of those people who ever discovers music. 
    26. What did you want and get?
    A successful surgery.
    27. What did you want and not get?
    A house. OMG, a house.
    28. What was your favorite film of this year?
    Atlas Shrugged: Part One.
    29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
    I turned 35. I am not much into big celebrations. We went out for a quiet dinner.
    30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
    I feel like a broken record, but a house, a house, a house. But to be honest, I find it difficult to not just be grateful for my surgery going better than I ever could have hoped.
    31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
    Typical Dawn style: comfortable and simple. Though I did get some new tops that were slightly more feminine and soft and "less simple."
    32. What kept you sane?
    T. My closest friends. A surgeon who was confident without being arrogant. 
    33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
    I just haven't found anyone to replace Mike Lowell.
    34. What political issue stirred you the most?
    I firmly believe in The Linus Philosophy (There are three things I've learned to never discuss with people: politics, religion and the Great Pumpkin) but I will leave it as: the economy.
    35. Who did you miss?
    Seems like I miss everyone (well, not T, of course, since he's here). When will I convince my loved ones how awesome Florida is and that they should move here? Heh.
    36. Who was the best new person you met?
    Ingrid. Which probably means she will move out of the state some time in 2012.
    37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
    I am always stronger than I think I am. And good things really do come to those who wait.
    38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
    Well, hello world, how you been?
    Good to see you my old friend.
    Sometimes I feel cold as steel,
    Broken like I'm never gonna heal.
    I see a light, a little grace, a little faith unfurl.
    Hello world.

    4 with their own thoughts:

    Ingrid Monday, January 30, 2012 12:20:00 AM  

    I can't even put into words how excited I am to see your wedding dress. You're going to be such a beautiful bride. 2011 sounds like it wasn't a bad year to be you :)

    ~**Dawn**~ Monday, January 30, 2012 8:45:00 AM  

    Awww, thank you! =) I am pretty sure I am one of the very few who had a good 2011...and it appears 2012 has taken up the challenge to be even better!

    Desert Songbird Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:11:00 AM  

    I haven't blogged in a couple of months, but this retrospective gave me some fodder. Thanks. :)

    *krystyn* Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:43:00 AM  

    You know how I love reading these and certainly 2011 was a good year for you!! I thought about how I'd answer these as I went thru yours and decided I better not post this myself as it would be depressing and border on fairly negative...moving forward instead. :-/

      © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP