Sunday, September 20, 2015

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: 2015 - Week 37

Checking in for the week of September 13 through September 19.

WHAT I READ |
Good in Bed (Jennifer Weiner) - I'll be honest. This book was more of a two for me, for a lot of reasons. What bumped it up to a three was the last hundred pages, which went from whiny and somewhat pathetic to something a bit more raw and vulnerable. It was primarily fluffy chick lit, which I do enjoy on its own merit, but I hated wanting to tell the main character to knock off the pity party for two-thirds of the book. The ending was perfect though -- satisfying and hopeful. There's a sequel, but I think I'll skip it. I read just enough of the reviews to get the pointed hint that it would undo my pleasant feelings for the way this story concluded, and with so many (many) other books on my to-read shelf, I think I'm content to let this story stand where it is right here.
Multiple Bles8ings: Surviving to Thriving with Twins and Sextuplets (Jon and Kate Gosselin with Beth Carson) - I had watched some of the episodes of their show, when it was still on tv, but not all of them and not from the beginning. I was curious about their story. It's interesting and a little sad to see how they started out, compared to where they've ended up, since this book basically tells the story up until the sextuplets were still toddlers. I wonder how much of what we see of Kate, and think we know from her public persona, is accurate to the person she really is inside, and to what extent she's truly been changed by fame along the way. I suppose that's something the outsider can ever really know, but it's something to ponder. If we don't guard ourselves -- our hearts, our souls, our thoughts -- life can change us, and sometimes not for the better, so even if most of us will never be famous, there are still some lessons to be learned.
The Book Stops Here (Kate Carlisle) - I have not gotten very far. Up too late watching baseball and football games. Oops.

WHAT WE ATE|
Had a taste for some pizza. Tried a new recipe: Foil Pack Chicken and Artichoke Dinner. Comfort food: grilled cheese and tomato soup. Been itching to have my Pumpkin Chili, even though it's still very much summer here. Back to summer food: BLTs. And I usually bring leftovers for my lunch, but one day we didn't have any, so I decided to get lunch from Panera. I got You Pick Two: the Roasted Turkey, Cheddar, and Apple sandwich, with the BBQ Chicken Salad. I have to say, it was the perfect taste for that summer-to-fall transition that I was looking for. YUM.

CANDLE SCENTS|
Pink Sands (YC)
Campfire Treat (YC) - Toasted marshmallow!
Under the Palms (YC) - A very pleasant surprise, actually. I had no idea what this would smell like, but it was "green" with a hint of sweet.
Storm Watch (YC) - An old favorite. Fresh and clean, like ocean air as a storm rolls in.

WHAT THIS WEEK LOOKED LIKE|
Final game of the series.


No words.


It won't last for more than today, but a) this is glorious, and b) it gives this summer weary girl hope that there might actually be an end to summer coming, eventually.


I see skies of blue...


Under $2.00.


Munchkins. For when I just can't choose one or two flavors.

2 with their own thoughts:

*krystyn* Thursday, October 29, 2015 2:26:00 PM  

Phew - look at that stormy sky...but then there is that gorgeous sunset...seems like a good trade off to me. :)

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, October 29, 2015 2:31:00 PM  

Krystyn: The payoff for all that humidity? Gorgeous sunsets. And we managed to get into the dome before it rained that day too!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP