Friday, September 18, 2015

Oh Hey Friday!: September 18, 2015

It's Oh Hey Friday! time, hosted by September FARM. The idea is that you talk about five things -- any five things, themed or random -- and away we go!



The "Brain Dump" Edition! (Volume Two)

ONE|
I've been spending some of my summer tv time re-watching reruns of Dawson's Creek on ABC Family, as they've been airing the show from the beginning. I will tell you what. I find few things as therapeutic for the daily travails of adulthood as reliving my teen angst. Adulthood can throw you some real curve balls, but I don't miss that life stage. I am the queen of nostalgia, but not for the struggle of adolescence.

Some other tv shows I've been into this summer, when we don't have the Red Sox on tv: re-watching Cheers from the beginning on Netflix; the second season of The Last Ship, which I thought was incredibly well done (I have the final two episodes still on the DVR); and we've really gotten invested in Hell on Wheels via Netflix, which, whoa, far more intense than I anticipated.

TWO|
Offering opinions in today's society is like stepping onto a minefield. When (not if) someone has an opposing opinion, one can find themselves on the defensive with little to no warning. I'm not sure when we decided that it's ok to viciously condemn people any time they don't feel exactly the way you do, but it sure makes me clamp my mouth shut 95% of the time. Interacting with people has become difficult, since there is no guessing what their individual hot button issues are or when you'll trigger a personal attack. It makes a quiet girl even quieter, is what I'm getting at.

But enough of that.

THREE|
There is one more weekend standing between me and the 2015 Epcot Food and Wine Fest. I'm giddy with anticipation. Top three menus that are intriguing me for this year's Fest are Dominican Republic, Brazil, and South Korea. Which isn't to indicate the others don't hold plenty of delectable possibility. I really don't even know how to decide where I'll begin! Its run goes through eight weekends, and I expect to be there for at least six of them, which I will undoubtedly need to tackle my ambitious list. Here's hoping the Saturday downpours ease up a bit, though, or I'm going to be very soggy.

FOUR|
Nobody cares about anyone else's fantasy sports teams (unless you happen to be in the same league, I would imagine), but I have three different football teams and I finished Week One undefeated across the board. This will never happen again, so I'm noting it for my personal records.

FIVE|
New tv episodes start up again next week. Food and Wine Fest is almost here. We have a family reunion (T's side) coming up the first weekend of October. I have a Festing friend coming in the following weekend. There are roughly six weeks left of summer to endure go. Disney has released a poster art calendar for 2016 (which I am determined to obtain after missing out on the 2014 version). I like having things to look forward to.

11 with their own thoughts:

~**Dawn**~ Friday, September 18, 2015 12:31:00 PM  

Downright terrifying at times, Janet!!

gail@more than a song Sunday, September 20, 2015 2:12:00 PM  

Yay for you with your fantasy teams! I lost big time last week and may this week too :(

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Sunday, September 20, 2015 9:13:00 PM  

Ooh, Food and Wine Fest posts, bring em on! I hope you don't get too much rain. We haven't had hardly any here all summer. It rained once in July and once in August I think. Our new sod is almost completely dead, in spite of a rather expensive irrigation system that runs multiple times a week :( Here's hoping you have great weather and lots of even better food!

BTW, your fantasy team rocks so far this year! You are putting up HUGE numbers!

Looking forward to our favorite month, sounds like you are too :)

~**Dawn**~ Sunday, September 20, 2015 9:43:00 PM  

Oh my gosh, Stacy. We're going to start growing webbed feet or gills and fins down here soon. It had rained. And rained. And rained. And sometimes it doesn't rain, but it starts up again just in time for the weekend, which is, of course, prime WDW time. I feel so guilty, because so much of the country is parched, and here we are, drowning.

Can you even believe my team?? I don't know how long it will keep up, but the first two weeks have been fun!

Bring on the Fest and October and some not-summer! ;-)

Unknown Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:24:00 PM  

At the risk of sounding like a ding dong, Can you explain how fantasy football works?

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:07:00 PM  

Kelly: Well...in a nutshell, you get together with a bunch of people to form a league. You pick NFL players in a draft to form your team. Each week, your team plays against another team in the league. They earn points based on point values being assigned to particular stats. The person with the most points generated by their team wins that week's matchup. There is usually some form of playoffs covering the last several weeks of the season. The team who finishes on top in the playoffs wins the league for that season, which, in the leagues I participate in, earns you bragging rights. If you're playing in a private league with friends (as opposed to a public league where no one knows anyone else), there can be a lot of smack talk and laughter throughout the course of the season. It's just a fun element to enjoying a football season. =)

Unknown Monday, September 28, 2015 2:08:00 PM  

Thank you! for your explanation! Now when my daughters boyfriends starts talking about fantasy football, my eyes won't glaze over.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, September 28, 2015 2:14:00 PM  

Oh my, Kelly. I'm not sure even knowing the premise will help you with that! I can't think of many things less interesting than fantasy sports, unless you're talking to someone who is not only participating, but in the actual league in which you play. LOL

*krystyn* Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:59:00 PM  

#2 for sure! Ugh!

And I am currently embracing the "introvert" lifestyle, in the name of "self preservation" in my oh-so-lovely workplace so far this year. I think I need to wear some battle armor some days.

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, October 07, 2015 1:31:00 PM  

Sad but true, it's safer that way these days, Krystyn. =/

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP