Monday, July 1, 2013

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: June 2013

A photo of me:

I cannot believe I have to use this photo. Serves me right for not making sure I was in a better one!

1) Candle scents* this month:
Blueberry Scone. Tulips. Lilac Blossom. Lavender Vanilla. Honeydew Melon. Campfire Treat. Fresh Mint.

2) What I am reading this month (you can find me on Goodreads!):
I finished Murder on Capital Hill (Margaret Truman) to start the month. - This wasn't the best mystery I've ever read. A loose end left dangling and a very convoluted motive. Not terrible either, mind you, but I've read better. The American Heiress (Daisy Goodwin) - A definite change of pace after reading many mysteries in a row. At first, I had a difficult time switching gears to historical fiction and I didn't really care for the main character. She became far more likable as the story progressed, though, and while it wasn't something I would ever need to read again, it was a decent book, even if the ending felt a bit abrupt. And at this point, I am just a hair over half done with The Waste Lands (Stephen King), the third book in The Dark Tower series. Suffice to say I am thoroughly engrossed!

3) Three things on my mind:
1. I know there's no real place for him on the roster, but I can't help feeling a little wistful, wondering how Cody Ross's personality would have fit into the 2013 Red Sox. I miss him.
2. Other than the occasional tee, I really don't collect any souvenirs from Disney. I think that maybe I would like to watch for magnets that I really like. Not a ton of them but a few that a) don't look tacky and b) truly represent some of my favorite parts of the Disney parks. I also *still* need to replace my Mickey-head wine stopper. I've only been saying this since it never turned up when we moved almost 18 months ago.
3. Watching the heartbreak in my Twitter feed over the Bruins Game 6 Stanley Cup loss, I am reminded why my heart can’t take loving more than the RedSox and Patriots.


4) Movies I saw:
None. I don't even know what's playing.

5) Calendar image for the month:
Ah, yes. The middle of the year. Most often the calendar images that speak least to me. Probably because they are summer and I already have enough of that outside.

Perfect way to spend a June afternoon. I won't divulge how many times I stared wistfully at that sight and wished I were fieldside at Fenway instead of at my desk.


6) New recipe tried this month:
Milk Dud Brownies.

7) Restaurants where I ate:
Miller's Ale House. Arby's. Olive Garden. Ling's.

8) Five things I am loving this month:
1. Slathering on some peppermint lotion on a sultry June morning. It really does make you feel cooler.
2. The serene smile always on Princess Kate's face. If she gets rattled by non-stop cameras, paparazzi revealing her private moments vacationing with her husband as newlyweds, a play-by-play of every moment of her pregnancy, you would never know it. She always has such a peaceful look in her eyes. She's a wonderful reminder of the level of grace I would like to show on a daily basis. She outshines me in this department, as well as just about every other, I'm afraid! But this is one to which I can at least aspire, especially because my own trials and personal life are under zero public scrutiny!
3. Monica Potter won Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series at the Critics' Choice Television Awards for her role of Kristina Braverman on the show Parenthood. After the way she knocked it out of the park week after week this past season, I am so thrilled for her that she is being recognized. Go watch Parenthood. Seriously.
4. Air conditioning. Summer is here with a vengeance.
5. Thunderstorms.

9) Three goals I had this month and three goals for next month:
1. Go through all the July issues of my magazines as they come in and get at least five old issues from The Stack into recycling. (I got through all but one July issue--it came too late in the month! sabotage, I say! -- but I only got three old issues into the recycling. Better luck next month, Dawn.)
2. Get caught up on the DVR. (I am going to call this a win. I have two episodes of Mad Men left and then several season finales, but the bulk of it is watched and deleted. Hooray for summer hibernation mode!)
3. Make something using my lovely KitchenAid mixer! I see her sitting there, in all her cherry red glory. She needs her maiden voyage! ( I did! And I am completely in love. See: brownie recipe above.)

1. Get through all the August issues of my magazines as they come in and get at least five old issues from The Stack into recycling.
2. Pick a paint color for the hall and part of the main bathroom.
3. Attempt to recreate Gram's pickled beets.

10) This month I looked forward to:
Seeing the Sox play live (in Tampa) for the first time since 2011!

11) The best part of this month and the worst part of this month:
The best part: a couple of days "away" in Tampa with my husband to see the Sox play twice! The worst: questioning if I really know anyone as well as I think I do (aside from T).

12) A photo I took this month:


*All scents are Yankee Candle, unless otherwise noted.

4 with their own thoughts:

Janet Friday, July 12, 2013 10:41:00 AM  

I saved the peppermint lotion from BBW just for this reason! Plus it smells so good :-)

~**Dawn**~ Friday, July 12, 2013 10:44:00 AM  

Great minds, Janet!! I do the same thing (Vanilla Bean Noel all winter for me!), especially glad to have it since my other favorite summer scent (Apricot Vanilla) didn't come back this year. I also keep a bottle of the peppermint shower gel in the shower for morning's when I need a little extra wake-me-up! ;-)

penuttpie Monday, July 15, 2013 8:07:00 PM  

1. I can't believe how long your hair is!

2. Is it wrong that I want to sniff all your candles?

3. You like how I talk about your hair as if I've seen it in real life?? ;)

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:49:00 PM  

G: It is CRAZY long (compared to what it was) and it looks the same in real life as in the photos, so close enough. ;-)

It is NOT wrong that you want to sniff all the candles. I do! How do you think I have so many. HAHAHAHA. (Seriously, that's just my autumn scents. You should see the rest. Ahem.)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP