Thursday, April 18, 2013

Flower and Garden Fest 2013: Round Two

Guess what it's time for? More deliciousness from Flower and Garden Fest! Let's dig right in.

I headed back, this past Saturday, for the second tour. While I tried to decide where to start my day, I got something to sip.

FRUITS BY THE GLASS

Blueberry Blue, Blueberry Wine from Florida Orange Groves.

It was sweet and mild, and the most beautiful color. I loved it...but I enjoy a sweet wine anyway. I've tried blueberry wine before, so I had some idea what to expect.


Sipping and strolling, I decided that some cheese would be a good place to begin eating.

THE COTTAGE: SAVORIES, TRIFLES AND TEAS

Baked Goat's Brie with Kumquat Chutney.

Now, frankly, I find brie to be brie, regardless of the milk from which it is made. It's good, but it's not the first cheese that will ever catch my attention. What intrigued me was the kumquat chutney. I have never tasted a kumquat before! The cheese was nice--mild and melty, no complaints there--with a bit of a crispy outer layer from being baked. The chutney is where things actually got interesting. The kumquat tasted sort of like a tart peach or an apricot, and it really livened up the dish.


Now we've got the ol' tastebuds awake!

JARDIN DE FIESTAS

Tostada de Jaiba (crab tostada served with chipotle mayo and valentina sauce).

WOW. So many flavors! The crab was cool and creamy. The lime juice brightened up the seafood and I enjoy a good chipotle mayo, but the valentina sauce was a tad spicy for me. I ended up eating around it as much as I could.


I was ready for something a bit more "hearty" now, so off we go again!

LOTUS HOUSE

Spring Pancake with Grilled Chicken and Green Apple.


I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed by this one. The flavors were nice but nothing special. The apple, which I expected to shine, got a bit lost behind the seasonings used on the chicken. And, well, the whole thing was kind of awkward and messy to eat. Oh well. You can't win them all.


I was ready to sit in the shade with a little beverage.

PRIMAVERA KITCHEN

Strawberry Rossini.


Too pretty to take just one photo! Also? Too tasty to share. You cannot so wrong with some bubbles (Prosecco) with some strawberry syrup and fresh chopped strawberries. In fact, just thinking about this, I wouldn't turn down another if you offered one.


Time for dessert. I was originally heading in one direction, but the strawberries from the Rossini had me craving more berries so I changed things up on a whim!

FLORIDA FRESH

Angel Food Cake with Macerated Florida Strawberries.

It was looking like rain, so brought my dessert to a favorite little quiet spot under cover, and then proceeded to devour it. The cake was light and really just a vehicle for those scrumptious berries and that cream. And I ate every last bite!


I am already planning my next visit! Still more on my list, especially after a couple of rounds behind me and seeing some of these dishes live and in person.

4 with their own thoughts:

Janet Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:27:00 PM  

the shrimp and stone ground grits sounds AMAZING!

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:31:00 PM  

I really wish grits appealed to me in any way, but they are one of the few foods that...just...no.

penuttpie Friday, April 26, 2013 12:01:00 AM  

Wait...is this in place of Food and Wine? Or just similar? Looks delish!

~**Dawn**~ Friday, April 26, 2013 6:22:00 AM  

They've done the two fests for some time now - Flood & Wine in the autumn, Flower & Garden in the spring - but this is the first time they are testing out incorporating a riff off Food & Wine for Flower & Garden. I am *loving* it. It's about half the size of Food & Wine but they've really done a great job with making it different and directly connected to Flower & Garden. I hope they feel it is a success and make it a permanent addition to this fest!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP