Friday, November 4, 2011

Food & Wine Festival 2011: Rounds Five and Six

The next two rounds took place in very close succession because Nichole and Daniel had arrived in Florida! On Wednesday, after much consideration, I started out my tasty travels in...

BRAZIL
Seared Mahi Mahi with Steamed Rice, Hearts of Palm and Coconut-Lime Sauce.

I'm not sure what I expected from this dish but I quickly discovered that I had greatly underestimated its deliciousness! The fish was seared perfectly, and the rice was, well, rice. But that *sauce*. I don't even know how to really describe it. It was just... difficult not to actually lick that little plate. Instead, I saved room for...



SOUTH AFRICA
Seared Filet of Beef with Smashed Sweet Potatoes and Braai Sauce.

First, I should point out that I am not typically a huge fan of sweet potatoes--these sweet potatoes are yummy though, spiced well, and nice and creamy. The beef was really a vessel for that sauce. I won't even pretend to know what it was, but I can tell you that it was good! Not really barbecue-y, which you might guess, but it was tasty. (Not as plate-licking amazing as the Mango Barbecue Sauce from the previous two years though.) And then it was time for...



BELGIUM
Belgian Waffle with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream.

"What's so adventurous about a *waffle*?" you might ask. To which I reply, "Absolutely nothing. But I ate in Brazil and South Africa to lead off, and I was starting to get full. Trying to keep in mind that we had dinner reservations that evening, I felt it was time for dessert, and I am not one to pass up an airy waffle with delicious berries and fluffy whipped cream. So there."
-------------------------------------------------------
The next day found us starting the tour in the opposite direction. Daniel was on a "seafood mission" for the day, but Nichole and I were on a "what looks tasty mission," so we tried nibbles of Daniel's dishes here and there, until we found ourselves in...

FRANCE
Escargots Persillade en Brioche. Parisian Cosmo Slush.

Nichole claimed the "little hats" and then I made Daniel peer inside and find me the one with the smallest snail (I'm brave enough to have tried escargot before, but they have to be *small*) but really? Who wants to pass up buttery garlic bread? You almost don't even know the snail is along for the ride. As for the slush, it is a grown-up beverage made especially for me. It's slushy and cranberry and the alcohol is disguised very well, and it's really just very refreshing. We headed for the next destination on Daniel's Seafood Tour, which just so happened to have something on my own to-taste list, in...

NEW ZEALAND
Seared Sea Scallop with Kumara-Red Curry Puree and Apple Radish Salad. Mohua Central Otago Riesling.

The scallop had an excellent sear and texture (not chewy at all) (nothing worse than a chewy scallop) but I think like preferred last year's scallop dish a bit more. The curry puree was a little spicy for my palate, and while it was balanced by the crispy, cool tartness of the salad, once the scallop and the salad were gone, I had little desire to finish the remaining puree. I would tell you more about the wine, but the curry was messing with my taste buds. I think there was a hint of pear or green apple to it, but I was far more interested in dousing the flames in my mouth, so I could make my way to...



ITALY
Cannoli al Cioccolato.

This little bite of heaven was exactly what I needed, and more than I dared to hope. There was a sweet ricotta cheese filling in a chocolate-dipped cannoli. They claimed there was "candied fruit" involved there, somewhere, but I have to tell you, if it was there, I missed it. (Which, truth be told, is fine by me, because when I think of candied fruit, I imagine that scary stuff found in fruit cake or hot cross buns. ::shudder::)

And then I was full. I waved the white flag until Sunday.

0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP