Saturday, August 2, 2008

so which is it?

it drives me loony when producers of perishable goods stamp their product with a date but do not specify whether that is a use-by date or a sell-by one. i truly don't care which it is, but could you at least clearly define it?

7 with their own thoughts:

Jeanne Saturday, August 02, 2008 12:26:00 PM  

That's so true. I guess all you can do is smell it or something to tell. I've had sour cream that lasted way past the sell by date. Guess they use the sell by as a way to absolve themselves of responsibility if it goes bad. On the other hand I've had stuff go bad before the sell by date. Then the excuse is well it's opened that shortens the lifespan. Can't win.

Lisa Carroll Saturday, August 02, 2008 1:50:00 PM  

I've always wondered that, too. I just consider the date a 'use by' date - safer that way. LOL Some items (like eggs) actually SAY "Sell By:" on them. But the majority of other products, sadly, do not. :/ Weird!

Nichole M Saturday, August 02, 2008 2:05:00 PM  

eh. Live dangerously. Just eat it!!!

Ted D Saturday, August 02, 2008 8:59:00 PM  

Dawn, just give it the smell test. Sort of like I do when I check to see if Trot needs a new diaper. ;)

Anonymous,  Sunday, August 03, 2008 11:27:00 AM  

or worse, when they don't include any date at all, or the numbers imprinted on the package are cryptic and don't resemble anything remotely like a date.

gail@more than a song Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:28:00 PM  

That is SO true! And very frustrating.

Anonymous,  Friday, August 08, 2008 7:14:00 PM  

I usually consider *all* dates "Use By" dates, even the ones that say "Sell By." But that may be because I'm a cook and I want everything to taste perfect! :)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP