Tuesday, August 12, 2008

And I Quote: August 12, 2008

"The long-standing theory is that the beauty of baseball comes in its pace, in its deliberate nature, in the fact that players have time to assess before each and every pitch; the game was never intended to be played solely out of reaction or athleticism. The stops in play were part of the attraction, particularly to those who watched baseball and wrote about it, because the details changed constantly. Ball one. The batter has the advantage. Strike one. The scale is balanced. The subtleties triggered emotions, which played on the mind, which invariably got in the way."
(Tony Massorotti, "Dynasty")

7 with their own thoughts:

Jeanne Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:16:00 PM  

Baseball is taking a backseat right now to the Olympics. Try Midnight Cove with Sun & Sand. Mmmm nice.

mimiscraps Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:45:00 PM  

Thank you so much for the comments! I am doing much better! I hope to have a pretty easy week!

Ted D Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:00:00 PM  

I've never seen this quote, Dawn but it hits home.

Just one of the many reasons I love the game so much.

But gacking up a 10-0 lead and as of now being down 16-14?

I'm looking for a wall to punch.

Mega Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:39:00 PM  

Agreed.

But if the count is 3-2, who has the edge?

Also, check my blog for a present.

Anonymous,  Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:53:00 PM  

Ironic, considering that was possibly the least subtle game ever. Love the quote anyway, though.

And as I told my wife, how did that 36-run train wreck STILL manage to finish in less time than a typical 5-3 Sox-Yanks tilt in mid-May? I don't get it.

Going to bed. Eventually.

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:30:00 AM  

Jeanne: Would you still be saying that if the Yankees weren't struggling? ;-) I kid, I kid! I know it's sacrilege but I just don't get into the Summer Olympics much. I enjoy the Winter sports more for some reason.

Mimi: Glad to hear it!

Ted: It was from his book that I just read & it really resonated with me. As for the game... yeah, I have no words yet for that.

Mega: The beauty of the game, in that instance, is the myriad factors to consider. Who is pitching? Who is hitting? How many outs? How many on base? What is the score? I love the complexity of this game. It is anything but boring!

Joe: I agree. The irony of the post still makes me shake my head. Last night's game may have been shorter than the Boston-NYY marathons but it left me a weird combination of drained and wired up. I think I finally fell asleep at 2am. I am exhausted today.

Catie Pearl Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:45:00 PM  

Just catching up on my rss reader and wanted to say GO SOX! I think they might torch the Toilet (Yankee Stadium) is we win the next 2. And the Rays LOST! Maybe that'll shut some people up.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP