Friday, October 31, 2008

trick or treat!

just tossing a few childhood Halloween rememberies around in my mind the last few days...

...there would always be a few little treats & a card from "the Head Spook" waiting for us when we woke up in the morning. the Head Spook had very shaky, scary handwriting too!

...my round orange plastic jack-o-lantern bucket with the black plastic handle for trick-or-treating. no pillowcase or "characters" for my bucket!

...my grandparents' neighbors across the street, the Downs family, had the best driveway. it was long & it wound its way from the road to their front door. Mrs Downs would answer the door always wearing her sword-through-the-head headband and she would make us come into the foyer as she called Mr Downs so they could admire our costumes.

...the skeleton that sat on the bench in Aunt Freida & Uncle Fred's breezeway (my Gram's brother and sister-in-law who lived two house up the street from my Gram's house).

...the year Dad took us out wearing furry orange monster hands & a tail. he put them on, on the sly, and told us he was turning into a monster! i was a little scared--but the fun, delicious kind of scared!

...the night always ended in a stop at Aunt El & Uncle Will's for treats (my Gram's sister and brother-in-law who lived on the other side of "the Hill"). we would get apples from Minor's Farm where Uncle Will worked and baggies filled with goodies as we warmed up from the cool night (or dried out from walking in the rain). Aunt El & Uncle Will would always paint their sliders with Halloween images & spooky words; i would stand in front of the sliders, taking it all in, then would peek between the painted designs, marveling at the view we couldn't see from Gram's house through all the trees.

... watching "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" on tv. i would always hide my face while the Headless Horseman chased Ichabod Crane through Sleepy Hollow, but couldn't resist peeking through my fingers as he hurled his jack-o-lantern head at Ichabod.

...the scary-faced ceramic jack-o-lantern Dad put out every year. i think that may have been one of my very favorite holiday decorations.

7 with their own thoughts:

Li'l Foot's Mommy Friday, October 31, 2008 11:19:00 AM  

Wow, you have a lot of halloween memories. I don't have quite as many and the only one I can ever thoroughly remember is answering our front door and getting pegged in the eye with an egg and my dad running after the perps and coming back with a fire extinguisher they had stolen from the local church

Janet Friday, October 31, 2008 3:36:00 PM  

That was so awesome to read! Thank you for sharing and I love your header :-)

Anonymous,  Friday, October 31, 2008 4:14:00 PM  

Oh, Dawn, thank you for sharing these. You described them so well, I could picture all of these scenes and how happy you were in them!

Ted D Friday, October 31, 2008 9:56:00 PM  

Love the new look for the blog, Dawn!

Happy Halloween.

Anonymous,  Saturday, November 01, 2008 12:07:00 AM  

What about:

the year I got five bucks from Mr "Private Runway" Barnes because he ran out of Reese's Cups lol...

Or all the pumpkins gramp would have lying on the tarps in the front yard...

Or when Aunt Emma took her teeth out of her mouth because I was having a tantrum over wanting to leave for more "trick or treating"...

These and yours are great memories all :-) (I love that ceramic pumpkin as well.)

Anonymous,  Monday, November 03, 2008 2:00:00 PM  

What fab memories... made me stop and relive alot of mine...
Thanks for that sweet walk down my own memory lane!

Nichole M Wednesday, November 05, 2008 1:49:00 PM  

Legend of Sleepy Hollow was awesome. I hid my face, too!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP