Sunday, February 8, 2015

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: 2015 - Week 5

Since November 2008, I've been documenting the bits of everyday life in a monthly format, through various incarnations. I've loved these "little life snapshots." But for approximately the past six months, I've been craving a change. More than a little tweak, this time, but a different perspective. After taking note of the bloggers I enjoy who do something similar on a weekly basis, I've finally blended my favorite aspects of their weekly posts with some of the framework of my monthly snapshots...and thus was born Snapshot from Along the Broken Road, v. 2.0

Checking in for the week of February 1 through February 7.

WHAT I READ|
Firefly Summer (Maeve Binchy) - I feel like I'm treading water in this book. Things are happening, but practically at the pace of real life. While I understand that some books are character driven, and not plot driven, and I enjoy both, I cannot seem to get a grasp on what story is trying to be told. I'm not at the point of wanting to give up, but it may take me til March to finish this book if something doesn't make me want to read more five pages at a time.

WHAT WE ATE|
T got a smoker to use in the grill as one of his Christmas gifts, so one night, we smoked pork chops (bone in for him, boneless for me), and rounded out our plates with some wild rice and a new recipe for roasted radishes. We also had scallops with Parmesan angel hair (a recipe we've tweaked from using sea scallops to bay scallops, which we much prefer) another night. And Friday, we went old school comfort food with grilled cheese and tomato soup -- just right for our cooler Florida-winter evenings (which I love!).

WHAT I ACCOMPLISHED|
I got four more old photos scanned in and about half a magazine read, but my grand To Do List cross-off is getting the ceiling fan dusted, and washing the insides of all the windows in the house, then cleaning the blinds, which involved two old socks and a half cup of white vinegar.

CANDLE SCENTS|
Welcome Christmas (Yankee Candle) - I know, I know, it's February, but these large jars last for.ev.er. and anyway, this scent just works well for the winter: some cranberry, a little zing of citrus, and some pine; I'll be sad when this one is gone, even though I'm ready to move on to something new.
Hazelnut Coffee (Yankee Candle) - Smells exactly like a cup of hazelnut coffee...without the need to peel me off the ceiling.
Red Velvet (Yankee Candle) - You would swear there is a cupcake just around the corner, with a generous dollop of cream cheese frosting on it.
Sparkling Snow (Yankee Candle) - I love this one in the bathroom. Smells fresh and clean.
Build a Snowman (Yankee Candle) - After all those foodie scents earlier in the week, I needed to pull out a votive that was a bit lighter. This one is a nice subtle minty scent.

WHAT THIS WEEK LOOKED LIKE|
Had to wear my lucky (read: only) Patriots tee for the Super Bowl. Unless you live under a rock and only come out to read my blog (ha) or don't care about sports at all, you already know that this tactic clearly worked in our favor.


One of my favorite WDW attractions had a limited printing t-shirt, back in January, that I had to have. It arrived in the mail. I love it.


Radishes ready for roasting with a little herbed salt. Yum!


The rain had just stopped. (So had I...at a traffic light.)


Thursday's dinner.


I'm a convert. This stuff is so good, I actually think about it between breakfasts.


Welcoming in February on the vintage travel poster calendar!


I amused myself, making T pose with our Friday dinner groceries. I call this one: Ode to Our Loved Ones Back North. ::snicker::


Golden morning.


We have signs of life!


One of my favorite corners of the house -- winter vignette in our guest bedroom.


Saturday mud mask to combat some especially unhappy skin. (Some girls look adorable when they share photos of themselves sporting a mask. I am not one of them.)


I am powerless to resist a heart-shaped Dunkin Donut.


Happy new week ahead, friends!

0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP