Thursday, February 26, 2015

Glass jar on a shelf.

The other day, I was thinking, about, oh, I dunno. The same random stuff that flits through my brain on any given day, in no way fit for print. Wait. That makes it sound like it's inappropriate or profane or something. It's not. It's just random and boring and sometimes not even comprised of fully formed thought. (Glad we cleared that up.)

Anyway, I was thinking and one train of thought morphed into another until I reached this one: I know some pretty amazing people. Engaging. Funny. Talented. People who make an impression.

Sometimes that makes me feel...well...unremarkable.

When you're the "quiet sort," it's easy to feel...not invisible, but...transparent? Like you just blend in with the background, so that you're visible but only barely, and only if someone actually pauses to really look. Imagine looking at an empty glass jar on a shelf -- it's like that. It's easy to be overshadowed or overlooked. Not even on purpose. It just happens.

This isn't anything new for me. In some ways, I'll be honest, I rather prefer it. I flew under the radar all through school. I had no enemies and I could get along with anyone. I was just flexible enough to fit in where ever I needed to, without the pressure of people expecting me to be the pretty one or the popular one. (It still surprises me -- in a funny way -- when people from high school remember me! I don't think I could have blended into the scenery any more than I did during those years.) I've never been a fan of the spotlight, never craved being the center of attention. I think it's served me well. As Megan's mother once told her, on Mad Men, "The world cannot support that many ballerinas." Some of us, simply put, must exist on the periphery in support roles.

You see, I may not leave an indelible mark on your memory, but I go out of my way to be kind. To quietly offer help in whatever capacity I am able. To be the type of loyal that always has your back, even when you don't ask for it, without fail. To lay open my soft heart with compassion. To speak soft words of encouragement. To express genuine gratitude and sincere compliments. To uplift with the positive attitude that hasn't always come naturally to me, but for which I have worked long and hard. In a world where people are quick to judge, quick to complain, quick to criticize, quick to tear down, I like to think that, maybe, these qualities actually make *me* a little more remarkable than I often see myself.

I'll never command your attention. Which makes me realize I need to be grateful for the people who have actually made the effort to see me. I don't always make it easy.

2 with their own thoughts:

penuttpie Saturday, February 28, 2015 4:37:00 PM  

You're an amazingly remarkable friend and that's all that matters to me :)

~**Dawn**~ Sunday, March 01, 2015 6:51:00 PM  

G: It's people like you that make it worth it. =)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP