Tuesday, May 20, 2008

no freaking way

i was all set to talk about this past weekend's sweep of the Brewers. about how Papi has found his swing (finally!). about how it was possible that there were seven errors made in the night half of the doubleheader and Julio Lugo wasn't even in the game. about how the members of the bullpen are officially Cardiac Kids because try to tell me you don't flinch just a little when you see someone reach for the phone to make the call. about how Pedroia is a little man with a BIG swing, and how fast those little legs move when he is motoring around the base paths. about how E6 continued his bid for undoing every good thing (working a bases loaded walk to tie the game) with a not so good thing (then being caught in a run down between second & third to record the second out of the fourth inning). about how Sunday's game was all about the long ball with both teams cranking out four home runs a piece.

i was all set to talk about these photos, which beg to be shared -- and so i oblige.



i wanted to mention the pitching coach for the Brewers & how he looks like a French villian from some cartoon. and how the welcome back for Gabe Kapler made me smile, ear to ear.

i was going to talk about Jeemer being hurt & the new reliever, Chris Smith who was called up to bolster the bullpen that got well-used with three games being played in under 30 hours. and the fact that we will see Masterson pitching again on Tuesday and how i hope that he can pitch as well as he did last time out and that maybe the offense will step it up a notch for him this time to maybe make it up to him for that win he earned but didn't get in his debut. and how my blog post for Wednesday's game may just include photos of the insides of my hands because that's likely all i will see with Colon on the mound.

i thought i would mention, with some sense of victory, that Tito will now pull Lugo in favor of Cora during games where defense is of the absolute essence. because really? we probably would have lost the early game on Saturday if he hadn't made that switch.

i had so much to say, so much to catch up on.

and then Lestah went & pitched himself a No Freaking Hitter last night and all of that other stuff? *POOF*!




(this photo from the Boston Globe)
funny thing is, i didn't even notice that it was in the works until the seventh inning stretch. i mean, given who was pitching, it didn't even really enter my mind. but i have to tell you, i was pacing & my hands were sweaty for the eighth & ninth! and i am still in utter disbelief.

i would be remiss though if i didn't mention what wasn't just a flat out *catch* by Runs Like Hell, but saved a no-hitter that i wasn't even aware was happening.


and if you didn't turn off the game after the final out, after the high-fives & noogies & back-slapping, you saw Tek make his way to Lester, silently smiling, and place the game ball into Lester's hand. if the look on his face doesn't sum up what i love about being a Sox fan, nothing will.

7pm, Justin Masterson. you couldn't tear me away from the screen if you detonated a bomb in the middle of my living room.

(all photos from Yahoo! Sports unless otherwise noted)

14 with their own thoughts:

JMP Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:41:00 AM  

Hey Dawn..
Great post as always;)
Nice 4 games after last week!!!
Lester NONO was fantastic!!! Glad I was watching! ( A #1 defense helped too!! )
Nail biter tonight and Wednesday!!
SO lets hear it for our offense!

Anonymous,  Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:17:00 PM  

I don't think I took a breath once I figured out what was going on. It was around the time of Ellsbury's catch that I was like, hmmm. Everyone's really excited! Oh, DUH!

The best was the moment between Lestah and Tito. I almost cried! But then again, I'm a hormonal pregnant woman so maybe I read into it. :-)

Great post!

Anonymous,  Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:14:00 PM  

Cora comes in for the ninth, and I turn to my wife and say, 'NOW the glove team is in.' I mean, it's all fine to pull Manny in the eighth, but HELLO LOOK WHO'S STILL PLAYING SHORT. Hee hee.

The moment between Tito and Lester was great, as was Tek giving him the ball. I felt a but mushy, and I'm not a pregnant hormonal woman. So it wasn't you, Pocklock.

I hope Masterson pitches a gem tonight, so Twins management can lose a little more sleep over passing on Lester, Coco, Lowrie, and Masterson in favor of, um, Carlos Gomez. That's high-larious. So glad we stuck with the kids.

Oh, and I remain convinced that whatever Tek gives you on offense is gravy. Has any signal caller ever been more underrated?

Nichole M Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:25:00 PM  

I feel so lucky that I got to see the last inning on ESPN! Lucky like this: 1. We get ESPN at this crap hospital. 2. I was actually in the call room instead of in the OR or at a trauma. 3. The tv was on and I was semi-paying attention instead of playing music like I normally do.

To quote a fellow resident with whom I watched the last out, "That was DOPE."

Michelle Quinno Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:35:00 PM  

I didn't see the game but I saw the highlights on the 11:00 news. Wow! I was soooo happy for him!! Great photos!

Dawn Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:15:00 PM  

Last night's game was all the talk in my kindergarten class. I've promised to print pictures so they can write about it in their journals this week.

take care,
Dawn

Ted D Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:34:00 PM  

Dawn, you can imagine how shocked I was when I got home last night after flying back and read Lester pitched a no hitter! Fantastic way to top off a fantastic weekend for me; just hate I missed it.

Redbeard76 Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:47:00 PM  

Well said, Dawn. Saturday was awesome, you couldn't ask for a better day. Dice-K win, papi HR, Paps save. Nice new decorating too Dawn. Then last night.. it went by so quickly I was well into an episode of Dirty Jobs and flipped back and whoa we're already in the 7th or 8th. We never mentioned the no hitter until it was done. I knew what was going on, but I'm not sure if Jess or her mom did.

Nichole M Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:50:00 PM  

I was kinda watching that Dirty Jobs, too! It was so disgusting I couldn't take my eyes off it. Sucking semen out of a turkey and then depositing it into a hen? NASTY.

Jeanne Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:30:00 PM  

Sweet game for your boy! good for him. And thank you for that sweet picture of 'Tek. Mmmm Good. hehe

sue @ postcards from paradise falls Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:48:00 PM  

yesterday was my boss's birthday and he's a HUGE sox fan... i even made him RED velvet cupcakes in their honor. so he got quite a nice gift with that no-no...

*lightbulb*

it was MY cupcakes that did it!!!! *Ü*

Ingrid Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:15:00 PM  

Even I have to say....wow.

I don't care who you root for, that was a special moment for baseball.

Mom Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:58:00 PM  

ya gotta love a no hitter no matter who the team is :)~

Anonymous,  Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:47:00 PM  

Look at what we got to enjoy the last two days: (1) Little man, BIG swing; (2) BIG man, BIG swing; and (3) Good Lester (showing up in place of Evil Lester) pitching a no-no-no-no, no-no-no-no, say hey, goodbye. :)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP