Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Food and Wine Fest 2013: Round Four

I swear at this point, you could have rolled me around the World Showcase Lagoon. (Keep in mind, I usually Fest once a week, rarely twice, and never three out of four consecutive days!) My plan for this day was to keep things mostly light while my mother finished all the things she wanted to try.

TERRA


Fresh Watermelon Juice.

Now, bearing in mind that I am not the biggest fan of watermelon, this was really the only thing on their menu that I was even remotely willing to try. (Things with such names as "Trick'n Chick'n" and "Beefless Tips"...just NO. And I tried the chocolate cake last year only to find it tasteless and dry.) It wasn't bad. Tasted exactly like drinking a slice of watermelon. Which makes sense, since I actually watched the cast member shoving chunks of watermelon into a juicer.


Moving along to some real food in...

AFRICA


Spinach and Paneer Cheese Pocket. The Wolftrap Red.

This was heavy on the stomach and the tastebuds, so I am glad I split it with my mother. I remembered from last year's tour that this dish is heavily curried. I don't mind small doses, but this was...a lot. The wine did cut a lot of the curry though. (It was a blend of Syrah, Mourvedre and Viognier.) Best part? When the cast member called out my order, those in the booth filling it broke out in a chorus of wolf howls!


Time for a return trip to...

POLAND


Kielbasa and Potato Pierogi with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream.

Fan favorite. Yearly menu item. Something I eat at home fairly regularly. And yet I cannot resist. This is comfort food for me.


Continuing the slow trek through the countries...

HOPS AND BARLEY


Craisin Bread Pudding with Grand Marnier Anglaise.

Let me lead off with the fact that bread pudding is very hit-or-miss with me. I don't like soggy foods and I find that bread pudding can go there rather quickly. This was recommended by several cast memebers at various times (they will often ask if you've tried this or that dish) and I have to admit, it really was well done though. The craisins added some nice tang and there was just enough of the cream to combat the dryness. I was pleasantly surprised! It also didn't hurt that it was a really pretty serving with lots of layers and contrasts and textures. I may have taken a good half dozen photos before digging in. Sometimes? It is not just ok to play with your food, but creatively necessary.


I was in full-blown dessert mode at this point.

BELGIUM


Belgian Waffle with Warm Chocolate Ganache and Whipped Cream.

Do I even need to sing the praises of this one? Or do you just get the point from the photo? Fluffy waffle. Warm chocolate. Light whipped cream. 'Nuff said.



I had literally enough room left for two bites at this point, and the one place I know can accommodate happens to be...

DESSERTS AND CHAMPAGNE
 

Hazelnut Chocolate Cheesecake.

I love the little shot-glass desserts. They always offer a trio and I always get it, because -- hello! -- no need to make a difficult decision! This year, though, two of the three sounded truly unappealing to me (I don't care for the orange-chocolate combination and pistachio-cherry is not my thing at all), but hazelnut and chocolate?? I am *all* in. This was creamy and decadent, so the size was perfect. And I ate every last bit.

And then there was no more room at the inn.

0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP