Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Food and Wine Fest 2012: Round Two

Round Two was another warm, clear day. I woke up my appetite and  turned my car toward Disney World for more tasty treats. I have to admit, I'm a bit of a planner when it comes to Food and Wine Fest. There are so many things to try, only a certain number of weeks to get there, and just a limited amount of room in my stomach, so to get them all in requires a plan.

Once again, I started with one of last year's favorites, this time in...

MEXICO

Taco de Camaron (crispy shrimp taco with chipotle-lime mayo and cabbage on a flour tortilla).

This was the perfect way to begin: a dish I know I will love and nice, bright flavors to get my taste buds warmed up. There is just the perfect amount of contract between the crispy shrimp, the soft tortilla and the crunchy shredded cabbage. The flavors are amazing together, none overpowering the others, despite the fact that none of them are shy about making their presence known. Plus, this dish is crazy photogenic! How do you go wrong? (Hint: You don't.)


And then it was onward, for another favorite, this one several years over...

SOUTH KOREA

Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw.

I remember the first time I tried this, I wasn't too sure how "kimchi slaw" would be, but this remains a dish I look forward to enjoying now. The pork is moist and flavorful. The kimchi slaw is not "too much." The biggest trouble with this is how messy it is to eat. That does not deter me. I just know to grab several napkins and head to my favorite spot, tucked out of the way. (What? You didn't think I would explicitly tell you where it is, did you? I don't know who might happen upon this post and suddenly my guaranteed open spot will become common knowledge and I will need to seek a new one.)


I was getting into my groove now. Time for something the same...yet different!

CHEESE

Trio of Artisan Cheeses. Sterling Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc.

Every year, there is a trio of cheeses at the cheese booth. However, each year brings a new trio! See? The same, yet different! Unfortunately, I found this trio underwhelming. (from left to right) Beecher's Flagship Reserve Cheddar was my favorite. It was drizzled in honey and the sweet and sharp was a good contrast of flavors. But it's a cheddar. Rogue River Creamery Echo Mountain Blue Cheese was interesting. I don't know if it's a trait of this cheese or just the lovely Florida humidity, but every blue cheese I am familiar with crumbles and this one was almost...soft and spreadable on the little crispy whole grain cracker-toast thing with dried cranberry. It was a strong blue, not bad, but a little strong for my palette. La Bonne Vie Goat Brie. Perhaps the most boring brie I have ever had. It was certainly the most forgettable. Merely a vehicle for the cherry relish. As for the wine, at first, I was tricked into thinking it had some flavor to it...until I realized it tasted exactly like whatever sweet flavor I had most recently tasted. In reality, it was a simple, dry white that played nicely with the various flavors I was eating.


Time for something of substance. Time for...

ITALY

Ravioli di Formaggio all'Emiliana (baked cheese ravioli with creamy beef bolognese sauce, Parmesan and mozzarella).

This had more substance, no question about it. In the Florida heat, it was almost too heavy. There were layers of ravioli and cheese with a tasty meat sauce. My only complaint was they went skimpy on the sauce. I know many prefer it that way, but I tend to opt for more sauce on my pasta, and this was just enough to qualify as a teaser.


It was time to do some walking. I was full and there wasn't room for much more. But there is *always * room for...

DESSERTS and CHAMPAGNE

Dessert Trio. Moet & Chanson Rose Imperial.

The champagne was champagne: dry and bubbly. Just the way it should be. Let's just get something straight: there was no way this Libra could pick just one of these desserts to go with it. They are sold in a trio, probably for people just like me. I was intrigued by all three selections. I anticipated liking the chocolate one best, but the only way to know is to grab a spoon and dig in!

Lemon Custard Verrine with Blueberry Compote.
Wow. Sweet and tart and spicy. It explodes in your mouth (not literally). The lemon custard is creamy, which plays off the firm but juicy berries and the crunchy cinnamon crumble topping.

Yogurt Panna Cotta with Orange Cake, Raspberries and Pomegranate.
I'll be honest, I didn't expect to like this one. I am picky about orange in my sweets. However, the orange was a mild taste, especially when tempered by the creaminess of the panna cotta, and really, it was the raspberry puree and the crunchy (not really, but I can never figure out how to describe it) pomegranate that took center stage.

Dark Chocolate Mousse with Chili and Salted Caramel.
I've had all kinds of mousse. This one was a little more dense than airy, closer to the consistency of...Cool Whip maybe? It was rich and slightly bittersweet. Nice but nothing extraordinary. It was the salted caramel that stole the show and the chili that baffled the senses by leaving the tongue warm after eating an otherwise cool dessert.


By the time I had finished my bubbles and desserts, I had drawn the conclusion that, while they were all very yummy, the Lemon Custard was my favorite. I wouldn't be shocked if the trio found its way into my final-round-for-favorites this year though. It may have all been too good to have just once.

0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP