Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fragile. (Must be Italian!)

I was taking a break from some proofreading (the dry language of a quality manual was starting to become word soup before my eyes and I needed something mentally stimulating before my brain just completely checked out) and I happened upon a blog post (StyleLush, very fun blog) that forced me to pause & think for several moments. This wasn't so much Deep Important Soul-Searching kind of thought as the Trying to Imagine variety.

You see, there was a link to some champagne flutes that cost...perhaps you should sit down, if you aren't already. Stop looking at me through your screen like I'm crazy. Sometimes I stand at my desk just because it gets tiresome to sit all the live long day. These glasses cost TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY DOLLARS FOR A PAIR. That would be TWO. TWO GLASSES.

I'm sorry, but that would be the day that I owned a glass that set me back $130. Not even if it's high quality. Not even if it's for consuming bubbles. Not even if it is the only glass I drink out of for the entire.rest.of.my.life. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate good quality & nice things. But can you imagine if that thing ever slipped out of your hand?? I already have heart failure over the concept of dropping one of my $9 holiday dishes (to be fair, they were given to me by my Gram, so there is sentimental value) while washing them. I agonize over dropping my iPod Touch, which looks so fragile. I get sweaty palms when I think about dropping My Baby, My Precious (that would be my camera, for those of you not in the know) & I won't use it without the strap firmly around my neck. The mental image of $130 worth of glass landing in a hundred and thirty million pieces on my kitchen floor would shatter what's left of my psyche along with it.

Do people I know really own glassware of this nature? If you do, please don't tell me. Better yet? Please don't put it in my hands. Have you seen how many times I drop my phone?

9 with their own thoughts:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Friday, September 10, 2010 11:37:00 AM  

I'm with you. Certain things appeal to certain people, I guess, but expensive things like that do not appeal to me. Electronics, cameras, computers, yes. And I do like my dishes and pots/pans, but most of them cost less than that pair of flutes! I'm far too clumsy to have too many things that are costly and expensive to replace. I am constantly dropping things or running into things (hence the bruise on my calf right now, can't remember what I ran in to!), so I would surely drop the silly glass.

:)

Mega Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:43:00 PM  

I refuse to spend good money on dishes or glasses. Its a dish and a glass. I'd much rather spend my money on good eats and good times.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, September 13, 2010 8:32:00 AM  

Stacy: The idea of dropping that much money on the floor stresses me out just *thinking* about it. Spending a little more on technology usually gets you better quality, but I'm going to go out on a limb & say that whatever you put into that $130 glass is going to taste the exact same as putting it in a $10 one. And I can live with replacing the $10 one. ;-)

Mega: Precisely!

Rachel Monday, September 13, 2010 12:47:00 PM  

Crack.Me.Up!

:)

I would NEVER EVER buy a $130 pair of anything. True story.

I bought my current wine glasses (with store credit) for $35 for 4 of them. And I've been second guessing myself ever since. Seems a bit ridic to spend money on something like that, right?

Sigh.. Suppose neither of us will ever understand! :P

andie Monday, September 13, 2010 10:01:00 PM  

you know you can put your camera on your home owners policy (or renters) so you dont have to worry so much about it

penuttpie Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:32:00 PM  

just checking to see if it will actually let me comment!

penuttpie Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:34:00 PM  

hey there! i saw italian and giggled ;)

i don't know what the deal is but for some reason your site hasn't been letting me comment. or google hasn't been letting me sign in to comment. but i have been reading and trying to respond!!

kreed Sunday, September 19, 2010 11:35:00 PM  

I could get a brand new Kindle for $130 (plus $9)! Obviously I do not own any $130 drinking glasses and I am pretty sure I will never have the kind of money that would make me even begin to think that was something I could afford!

~**Dawn**~ Monday, September 20, 2010 11:11:00 AM  

peanuttpie: So strange that it wouldn't let you comment! Wonder what its issue was.

kreed: I feel the same way about it. Even if I had buckets of spare money, I just don't think I would choose to spend it on something so easily broken!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP