Saturday, July 5, 2008

it's electric!

so i was just on my way back from the laundry room (because i am almost guaranteed not to make a futile trip across the parking lot only to find all the washers in use on a Saturday night) and it's kind of nice out, especially for July in Florida. twilight-ish with the remains of a sunset reflecting a last warmth on the few wispy clouds stretched across the sky. slightly less humid. a bit of a breeze.

out of -- quite literally -- a clear blue sky, there was a horizontal flash that felt like it was inches over my head. the hair stood up on the back of my neck as i actually *heard* the lightning blot slice through the air, with a deafening crack of thunder right on its heels.

i glanced up at the sky again. not a dark cloud in sight. just the same wispy clouds, like cotton balls stretched thin.

the sky is still grumbling. it hasn't stopped since that bolt flashed. just one long low rumble for the last five minutes.

Mother Nature is making her presence known... much like a dog that growls deep in his throat & shows his teeth, but does not rise from where he lies. a warning that may turn into nothing more. but a warning nonetheless.

14 with their own thoughts:

Ted D Saturday, July 05, 2008 8:23:00 PM  

Dawn, that is spooky. Was it heat lightning or a storm a ways away?

Jeanne Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:17:00 AM  

Woo that would have scared the crap outta me. Like how you explained mother nature making her presence known.

Ted D Sunday, July 06, 2008 10:25:00 AM  

BTW, really liking your picture in your header.

Nichole M Sunday, July 06, 2008 12:11:00 PM  

Yikes! Makes you wonder when she's going to strike next!

sue @ postcards from paradise falls Sunday, July 06, 2008 9:14:00 PM  

We had some crazy lightning like that here a couple days ago. Creepy!

marianne Sunday, July 06, 2008 10:29:00 PM  

whoa! that would have rattled my cage!

Anonymous,  Monday, July 07, 2008 10:49:00 AM  

WHOA! That's crazy! And weird! That would've spooked me too!

~**Dawn**~ Monday, July 07, 2008 11:49:00 AM  

Ted: It never rained, but it continued to thunder steadily for several hours, and there was lightning flashing in the distance and high in the clouds as well. It was very odd. This was definitely a very localized bolt of lightning though & not heat lightning.

Krystyn: My thoughts exactly!

Jeanne: It did! I kept one eye on the sky & moved quickly when I went back to switch the loads over to the dryers & to collect my clean dry laundry! Glad you enjoyed my analogy. =)

Ted: I am not sure it will stay that one. I may change it to another one for a bit & then come back to this one a little later in the season. I love it too though. It's the same one I used the last two Summers. =)

Nichole: Yep. I've never felt anything like tha before & it made me a bit edgy!

Holly Wood: Lightning doesn't bother me when I am inside. I like to watch it. NOT a fan of being outside in it.

Marianne: It definitely did mine!

LFM: I don't ever remember seeing very many actual bolts of lightning when I lived in CT. They all seemed like flashes in the sky, with an occasional storm severe ebough to produce some bolts. I don't know if it was just that all the hills & trees blocked the bolts from view, giving the illusion that we didn't have them, unlike down here where it's flat & you can see for miles? Or if the tropical weather produces more severe storms, causing more bolts? I just know that we get a ton.

Debi Monday, July 07, 2008 1:32:00 PM  

Oh my goodness...how totally freaky! Glad you're okay!!!

gail@more than a song Tuesday, July 08, 2008 9:24:00 AM  

Scary!
We've had some storms the last few days; a couple with thunder/lightening right over the house...where everything shakes and rumbles. I can do without those!

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, July 08, 2008 11:49:00 AM  

Debi: Me too! I have to say, I don't really enjoy having lightning quite so close to me.

Gail: I mind it much less when I am not standing outside!

Janet: Tell me about it! She is an awesome & powerful force -- and I respect her a great deal. I also prefer not to envoke her wrath. =P

Vanessa Tuesday, July 08, 2008 8:05:00 PM  

Lightening like that scares the crap outta me! I love a nice rain but really dislike fierce storms.

Michelle Quinno Friday, July 11, 2008 3:48:00 PM  

Jeez, that would scare the you-know-what out of me! I'm petrified of lightning!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP