Sunday, March 20, 2016

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: 2016 - Week 11

Checking in for the week of March 13 through March 19.

WHAT I READ |
Valentine Murder (Leslie Meier) - This isn't the sort of book that is going to win accolades or literary awards. It's a predictable (in format, anyway) little cozy mystery, with a 'whodunnit' and some red herrings and plenty of hijinks. When you keep your expectations in check, understanding the sort of book you've picked up, this was another fun installment in a series I've enjoyed thus far. It's exactly what I expected, after reading the first four books in this series. There were parts that made me chuckle. There were parts that made me want to read a little faster. I spent the entirety of the story trying to figure out who was responsible, and why, right alongside Lucy. And in the end, my initial suspicions were right, even though I'd changed my guess several times while I read.
Before I Say Good-Bye (Mary Higgins Clark) - A bit of a slow start to this one, which is odd, because isn't there typically a little "heart pounding" or something sinister to whet the appetite, and then we slide into building the story? Hopefully, it will pick up some adrenaline soon. So weird for a MHC! They usually suck me right in.

WHAT WE ATE|
On Sunday, I made my second Blue Apron meal: Triple Pork Mazemen with Roasted Garlic and Pea Tips and, let me tell you, holy amount of flavor in this one! I don't know if I can find everything to re-create the recipe again, but if I can, I won't hesitate! Monday was my final Blue Apron recipe, Crispy Brown Butter Gnocchi with Meyer Lemon and Brussels Sprouts, and I really enjoyed it. It was unexpectedly satisfying, for a meatless dish, although I don't see it being "enough" for T. However, it could easily go from a two-serving main dish portion to four side dish. And if you are ambivalent about Brussels sprouts (I like them, myself), I can tell you that between the lemon, thyme, garlic, and Parmesan, you can't even taste those few leaves in there. Tuesday, I was again on my own (T was in transit), so I just whipped up a little ziti with a red sauce. Grilled cheese and tomato soup was my quick-and-easy-before church on Wednesday. At T's request, Thursday, I made my Stuffed Shells with Spinach and Sausage (double batch so there were some left to freeze!). On Friday, we had some ox roast sandwiches. T had brought home some ox roast from Pennsylvania. I'd never had it before and it was quite good! And on Saturday, no one felt like cooking, so we ran out for some Zaxby's chicken.

CANDLE SCENTS|
Blueberry Scone (YC) - I really just want a warm-from-the-oven blueberry muffin every time I walk into the master bedroom.
Buttercream (YC) - Mmmmm...buttercream.
Drift Away (YC) - Fresh and clean. I jumped the gun, just a wee bit, on spring scents, because with only a couple days of winter left on the calendar, I couldn't see starting more wintry scents.

WHAT THIS WEEK LOOKED LIKE|
Bathtime for my car.


Florida is just exploding with color.


Blue Apron, the second: Triple Pork Mazemen with Roasted Garlic and Pea Tips. This was amazing, loaded with flavor.


Inviting.


Final Blue Apron: Crispy Brown Butter Gnocchi with Meyer Lemon and Brussels Sprouts. I was so surprised. For being meatless, it was unexpectedly satisfying. Plus, unlike the first two recipes, which had some ingredients I don't think I can find in order to replicate in the future, this recipe was all common ingredients. It was also very simple and quick to make, and it would work as a two-serving meal or a four-serving side dish. And, while I like Brussels sprouts, if you don't, I can tell you that you cannot even taste them, for all the lemon, thyme, garlic, and Parmesan. Plus, it's just "loose leaves," not the whole little sprout.


Exercising my right.



0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP