Wednesday, December 31, 2014

What I Learned in December: 2014

1. I've been using my beloved KitchenAid stand mixer all wrong. Apparently, I should *not* be using the whisk to make cookie dough, but the paddle. The whisk adds too much air to the dough, rather than simply mixing the ingredients. My mistake was born of the fact that I'd used a handheld mixer all my life, and the whisk looks the most like the beaters on a hand mixer! Lesson learned.

2. Yukon Cornelius, on the classic Christmas special, "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer," was not looking for silver or gold. He was prospecting for peppermint! Unfortunately, a scene at the end of the original broadcast was deleted in every subsequent showing, to make room for Santa visiting the Island of Misfit Toys, so the audience never gets the resolution of his search: the peppermint mine he finds near Santa's Workshop! As I read through the Wikipedia page on the special, I learned all sorts of trivia, but that one surprised me the most.


Every month, Chatting at the Sky shares what she learned. Big things and little things. Life lessons from the serious to the silly. I've decided I want to participate. Just another means of capturing who am I along this broken little road called life.

2 with their own thoughts:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Thursday, January 08, 2015 6:23:00 PM  

I think I read the booklet with my Kitchenmaid (being the nerd that I am), when I first got it, to learn the difference between the paddle, whisk, dough hook, etc. I had only used the dough hook for bread dough until recently, when I used it to mix up the ingredients for sausage balls (bisquick, sausage, cheese). I read that tip online and was like, gee, why did I never think of that! i almost always use the paddle, except I use one I got from Amazon a while back, one with scraper thingies on the side, so I don't have to stop and scrape down the side with cookie dough and stuff. If the link works, it's one similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Design-Beater-KitchenAid-Tilt-Head-Models/dp/B0015TMHFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420759276&sr=8-1&keywords=kitchenaid+beater+blade

Have a great day! :)

~**Dawn**~ Friday, January 09, 2015 8:57:00 AM  

Interesting, Stacy! Last I checked, they didn't make the scraper-style paddle to fit my particular model. This claims to fit any tilt-head model? I may have to investigate further. I think I also read my instructions when I first got the mixer, but then relied on my memory when I actually used it, which...duh. LOL.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP