Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Inexplicable.

On Sunday, I began my usual post-church routine. I stopped to top off my gas tank, then headed into Target for the first half of my weekly grocery shopping. I carried my two bags out to the car, opened the door to my backseat and was greeted by...



I'm not going to lie. I looked around, startled, thinking I had accidentally opened up the wrong car. But no, that was my sunshade and my box of Puffs. I could see my hymnal on the front seat. I thought perhaps I had hallucinated but as I swung my gaze back to the seat, nope, still there:



I set my bag on the floor, closed the door and slid into the driver's seat, glancing warily over my shoulder. I texted Troy & casually mentioned my silent backseat passenger. I fully expected him to laugh & say he had forgotten that was there...or something. His response "I hope you paid for it."

Maybe now is a good time to say I have never purchased a watermelon in my life. Oh, I've *eaten* watermelon on plenty of occasions but I have never actually *bought* one.

When I mentioned this to him, he laughed it off, and had he not been several states away at the time, I would have thought for sure he was pranking me. See, I am one of those people who is neurotic about locking the car. I check and double-check. So the presence of this watermelon in my car when I had not put it there? Troubling.

The more I thought about it, the more creeped out I became. Who had been in my car? *How* had they been in my car? *When* had they been in my car?? (I don't go into my backseat very often. I have no real need to do so. The things I carry back & forth to work with me ride in the passenger seat up front. Most weeks, the only time I open up my backseat is when I grocery shop on Sunday.)

I made my way to the grocery store to finish my shopping, the whole time thinking about this watermelon. The more I thought, the more suspicious I became. I started wondering if it was some kind of watermelon bomb. Or maybe someone had injected it with some kind of poison! (I watch way too much CSI. Clearly.)

But really? Where did it come from?? I mean, it didn't just *grow* in my backseat! My car was locked. And even if it weren't, who just puts a watermelon into a random car?!

I still have no explanation. Troy cut it up & had some. He hasn't keeled over yet anyway.

4 with their own thoughts:

Mega Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:22:00 AM  

For the record, I didn't do it.

Janet Monday, May 16, 2011 12:50:00 PM  

wow, that is really, really weird! Maybe someone from church?

gail@more than a song Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:01:00 PM  

Did you ever figure it out? Sunday, so guess it was one of those miracle things. :)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP