Saturday, September 1, 2012

Saturdays Are for Weddings: 4 Weeks

Last Sunday, at church, the theme of the sermon was marriage. This obviously is something that caught my ear. T and I have a pretty even keel relationship. We hardly ever argue or disagree. Not because we're perfect people, but because I think we're pretty good at communicating with each other. One of the things the pastor said was that every couple should have a good fight before they get married, just to prove you can work through stormy waters and come out the other side.

There is more to a good relationship, though, than surviving a big argument. What I took most to heart is that a good marriage is found not in what you get from your spouse but what you give them. If you're in a strong relationship, you don't need to be selfish, because while you're giving to them, they're giving back to you. It's not always an even trade off; sometimes one person needs a little more -- a little more help, a little more grace, a little more compassion -- but in the end, it all balances out. You should also be fully invested in celebrating their joys, easing their burdens, and building them up...not in demanding all the glory, wanting your life to be made easier, or tearing them down because they haven't lived up to lofty, unrealistic expectations. Human beings, even those who love you deeply, will disappoint you now and then. Starry-eyed romantic love doesn't want to see or acknowledge this, but the sooner you learn to spend less time nit-picking their weaknesses and more time appreciating their strengths, the stronger your relationship will grow deep roots.

I think one of my favorite parts of our relationship is that we already do many of these things. I make a conscious effort to thank T for little things he does, not because he looks for the praise, but because I want him to know that I see and that I don't take it for granted. And for all the times I am less than pleasant, less than motivated, less than the person I ought to be, I am lucky enough that T doesn't dwell on those things. No, I won't try to pretend we're perfect. No good comes from that kind of delusion. But it sure was nice to hear these foundation cornerstones listed and to realize these are things we already do far more often than not, and when we fail, we aren't afraid to apologize and try harder. Affirmation that this decision to commit to one another is not one we're entering lightly or without a solid base upon which to build.

That's a pretty good thing to know as we enter the final weeks leading up to the wedding.

4 with their own thoughts:

J-Dawg's Realm Saturday, September 01, 2012 9:19:00 AM  

LOL Have a good fight so you can make up! Have T take you to Cracker Barrel for make-up pecan pie with ice cream scoop!

A Compassionate Calling Sunday, September 02, 2012 10:53:00 AM  

I love this because it's absolutely true. There is no point in keeping score..what you give, comes back to you. Sometimes, it's harder than others to remember this!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:54:00 AM  

Great post Dawn! I think every couple has to fight some, or else a lot of resentment or unhappiness will build up. Learning how to fight and what to fight about are bigger lessons, and learning how to forgive and let go are even bigger. I tried for years to explain to my sister-in-law that if you work to make your husband happy, he'll be happy, but more important, it will make you happier and more content. She never believed me, but it's worked for me for years :) Lastly, I believe putting God first in your marriage is the most important component, as long as He is at the center and you're both mindful of him and his commandments, your marriage will be happy and lifelong :)

It's getting close! So exciting!

gail@more than a song Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:32:00 PM  

I like all that! Communicating, good job on getting that down. True about it not always being an even trade off and sometimes one needs more than the other; it works the same way with kids too. Fully invested, I like that too! I remember hearing years ago at a marriage conference about each giving 100%, so many talk about 50-50 but when you both give 100 it's like what you've written about. So close now!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP