Thursday, January 3, 2019

2019 Personal Reading Challenge

After looking at over a dozen reading challenges posted online and feeling entirely uninspired, I decided I would create my own with categories that don't feel impossible and that could easily be recycled from one year to the next with very little tweaking, if I so choose. It has far more categories than I will likely ever get to in a single year but my goal is to check off as many as I can. While a single book will certainly apply to more than one line, I intend to limit myself to choosing just one per book. I thought I'd share my list with any of my other reader friends who might be interested but hasn't found a reading challenge that spoke to them yet. Feel free to play along. Happy reading!

A book with several short stories or novellas
The first book in a new-to-you series
A book from a series you've already started
The newest book from a series
A book that's part of a trilogy
A book with 500 or more pages
A book with 100 pages or less
A book published in the 90s
A book you've been meaning to read for at least ten years
A book published in 2018 or 2019
A book someone else raved about
A book you've been really anticipating
A book you're not sure you'll like but want to try anyway
A book you picked up on a whim
A book you wanted to read last year but didn't get to
A library book
A book you already own
A physical book
An e-book
A book geared toward children or teens
A cozy mystery
A memoir
A book that is historical fiction
A book that takes place during contemporary times
A non-fiction book
A genre you don't typically read
A new-to-you author
An author you've been meaning to read more by
A longtime favorite author
A book written by a woman
A book written by a man
A book written by two or more authors
A book with a title or author that is alliterative
A book you hope helps you to learn or grow
A book that teaches you a lesson
A book that is pure brain candy
A book with a one-word title
A book with a two-word title
A book with at least six words in the title
A book with red on the cover or in the title
A book with orange on the cover or in the title
A book with yellow on the cover or in the title
A book with green on the cover or in the title
A book with blue on the cover or in the title
A book with white on the cover or in the title
A book with black on the cover or in the title
A book with a title containing a color not listed above
A book with clothing on the cover or in the title
A book with food on the cover or in the title
A book with a season in the title
A book with a holiday as a theme or in the title
A book with a place in the title
A book with a title that mentions something found in nature
A book that has a day of the week in the title
A book with a number in the title
A book with an apostrophe in the title
A book with an animal on the cover or in the title
A book with a person's name in the title
A book with a person on the cover
A book with only words on the cover
A book with a cover that makes you want to read the book
A book that takes place in a different country
A book with a title that starts with the word 'a' or 'an'
A book with a title that starts with the word 'the'
A book with a type of building on the cover or in the title
A book with a window or a door on the cover
A book with a title that references a time of day
A book with a female leading character
A book with a male leading character
A book of your choice

6 with their own thoughts:

Gail Wednesday, January 16, 2019 8:05:00 PM  

I like this idea, that makes it interesting! I'm doing the Goodreads challenge again this year but might make a list like this or use some of your ideas and keep a written list somewhere else!

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:53:00 AM  

Gail, feel free to borrow, modify, or whatever to inspire yourself! That's why I shared it! I made a little spreadsheet for myself in Google Docs and I made a list of the topics in one column. In the next column, I have possible book ideas for each topic. Then in the very left column is my little checklist to mark off when I've completed one! Lists make me happy. =)

Gail,  Friday, January 18, 2019 9:18:00 PM  

Thanks! I still love a written list.....even with all the technology, apps and other things around I just love a written list!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Wednesday, January 01, 2020 9:05:00 AM  

I'm already late to getting this setup for 2020, but I might want to "borrow" some of your ideas and create one for me, if that's ok Dawn! Happy New Year to you and Troy!!!

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, January 01, 2020 11:29:00 AM  

Happy New Year, Stacy! I'm going to put up my 2020 slightly modified version here soon. Feel free to borrow, tweak, or otherwise inspire yourself!

Dave,  Saturday, December 26, 2020 3:12:00 PM  

Hahaha, get ready for some inspired BS as to how the book I read fits into the category.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP