Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturdays Are for Weddings: 11 Weeks

It's funny, when you hear people go on and on about how crazy and time-consuming it is to plan a wedding, what fails to come across is how much sitting around there is. Oh, there are still items on the list but it is either to soon to work on them or they are completely at the mercy of the final headcount, which is still over a month away from being due. Sure, we still need to get wedding bands and I need to pop something in the mail to a crafty friend for my hair, but that encompasses Everything I Can Actually Do Right Now.

So, I am killing time, reading blogs and various wedding-related tidbits on social media. I can see how, for an easily overwhelmed bride, this would be a bad idea. There is a *lot* of information out there. And an eternal list of ideas to inspire you. And a ludicrous number of "must have details" that they neglect to mention can only be afforded by someone of celebrity status. I am secure in what we're doing. I feel it focuses on the important part of the day and celebrates who we are as a couple. If anyone in attendance cannot see that, then I have sorely misjudged their need to be on this guest list.

Anyway.

In all my time-killing but keep-the-wedding-spirit meanderings, there is one trend around which I simply cannot wrap my head. Two dresses. Let me get this straight: I pay an obscene amount of money (even if I get a really good deal) (which I did--on both counts) for a dress that I will wear for a limited number of hours ONE DAY OF MY ENTIRE LIFE. Unless I birth a daughter who is not only relatively the same size as me, but also likes the style dress I wore *and* is ok wearing an old dress, the only way this thing ever gets used again is if I sell or donate it. So why, in the name of all sanity, is there a trend that says the bride changes into a more casual party dress for the reception?! Now, not only is she spending even *more* money (on another dress which, let's be honest, may or may not also be worn just the one time), but she will wear both of them for even *less* time? I have to tell you, I love my dress. I am thrilled this is what I will wear on my wedding day. But I intend to squeeze every last second out of wearing that dress on the day I am married.

This? Is why I am never going to be a trend-setter.

0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP