Thursday, January 15, 2015

Currently: January 15, 2015

I keep staring at the blinking cursor, missing my blog, knowing the answer is to just start but unable to figure out how or where.

Here. I start here.

We've been plagued with various illness since right after Christmas. It started December 27 with T as the flu, which turned into a throat and double ear infection and a nasty cough, and necessitated a Z-pack. On the evening of January 6, I started feeling a sort throat. It was bad enough to keep me awake most of the night. I was sent home from work at noon on January 7 and didn't come back until January 9. (I felt kinda bad about that, since I had just returned from a long holiday vacation on January 5.) My only symptoms were a horrible sore throat and feeling exhausted. On the 9th, I had no symptoms. On January 12, I had a vaguely sore throat, which turned into a slightly stuffed up nose, and is now a nagging, tickly dry cough. This morning T texted me and thinks he's catching my (thankfully) mild cold.

To sum up: we are done with the being sick already, please make it stop.

In addition to all the malaise, we've also been...

Making … a concentrated effort to walk most days, while the temperature is not of summer proportions. Except when we've been feeling too cruddy. And when it's been dreary and damp and dismal.

Cooking … again, after an illness-induced hiatus that resulted in no one feeling like messing up the kitchen and lots of takeout.

Drinking … my usual water. I'd really like it to be a steaming cup of hot chocolate from Dunkin tonight. This dampness has me feeling chilled.

Reading … a book that's been on my Goodreads "to read" shelf since 2011, These Things Hidden, and really enjoying it.

Wanting … to stop coughing, to play at Disney, and to stay as nearly current as I have managed to get on my feed reader and the DVR.

Looking … forward to our Valentine's Day plans, the start of Spring Training, Flower and Garden Fest at Epcot, and the final seven episodes of Mad Men.

Playing … the radio on my commutes recently. I need to "discover" some new music.

Enjoying … the few remaining NFL games left on the calendar. Especially since the Patriots are still alive!

Waiting … for the new spring Yankee Candle scents to be released in Sampler size. I've earned two gift certificates in the customer loyalty program and I'm saving them to round out my spring scent stash.

Liking … that we're finally getting some Florida winter. It annoys me that we have to pay to run the a/c for six months. It *really* annoys me when we have to pay for a/c in January.

Wondering … what 2015 holds in store. We can make all the plans we want, set goals, dream dreams, but I've found that old saying holds true more often than not: if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Thinking … is one of those proverbial double edged swords. Both necessary and overrated. Next?

Loving … my new Thirty-One bag that I got for toting back and forth to work, even more than I expected. It's a bit more pricey than what I typically spend (for a good cause, though -- one of T's nieces sells it for supplemental income while she stays home to care for her two little boys), but it's roomy and durable. And I can finally fit even my two big refillable water bottles.

Smelling … peppermint, pine, cranberry, red velvet, sage, fresh snow. I classify my candle and lotion scents by season, and we're deep in the heart of winter right now.

Buying … very little right now, after all the Christmas spending. I'll get the aforementioned spring candles with my vouchers and next month, I renew my WDW Annual Pass (my tax return gift to myself) but other than that, no unbudgeted spending for a bit.

Watching … tv shows that are within a week old! I cannot believe how empty I got the DVR over my Christmas break. The only shows I'm behind on now are Parenthood (only watched one episode so far), the season one finale of The Last Ship, the final episodes of Dallas (intentional because I'm so bummed they canceled it), and two episodes of Grey's Anatomy.

Disliking … illness and running the a/c in January, both of which will, with any luck, be a thing of the past very soon.

Snacking … on peach slices with cinnamon. Trying to limit my sweets intake so my immune system can focus all its energy on fighting off these germs, instead of wasting time, helping to process sugar.

Hearing … sirens on the main road. Always. I swear, every emergency vehicle must travel that road when they get a call. And the sound of my own typing, punctuated by coughs by one or the other of us. It's pretty quiet in here.

And with that, I believe it's bedtime. My book is calling my name.

3 with their own thoughts:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:37:00 PM  

So sorry you guys have been sick and your new year is off to a miserable start. Sending lots of Purell and hopes that you are much better after a good weekend of rest.

I totally admire you for a) walking when sick and b) not eating comfort foods and sweets. Both pretty impossible for me on a good day, much less when I don't feel great. Kudos to you!

Feel better!

~**Dawn**~ Friday, January 16, 2015 6:29:00 AM  

Stacy: I think I've sanitized every surface in the house at this point. Germies be gone! It has been *really* challenging to stay away from sweets, especially my post-dinner piece of chocolate! But the couple of times I've indulged while battling this crud, I've felt significantly worse, so I just gaze sadly at my little pile of Christmas candy and tell myself I'll enjoy it more when it isn't making me feel worse. ::sigh::

Unknown Saturday, January 17, 2015 1:16:00 PM  

So sorry to hear you guys have been sick! Scott has been sick for almost 2 weeks now. Boo :(
I always do love reading your updates. Fingers crossed you feel better soon!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP