Sunday, October 11, 2015

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: 2015 - Week 40

Checking in for the week of October 4 through October 10.

WHAT I READ |
P.S. I Love You (Cecelia Ahearn) - I had higher hopes for this one, but I think I gave it too much credit. The story easily could have been told in half the number of pages, if all the repetition had been eliminated. While the cycles of grief may certainly ring true in real life, reading the same thing over and over becomes dull and stalls the story. I didn't find most of the characters all that likable, which throws up another roadblock for me, in book enjoyment. And the writing, itself, felt like a low quality Danielle Steel. I don't need everything I read to be great literature, and there is certainly a time and place for some "chick lit," but I at least want it to feel like the writing was mildly intelligent and has some fluidity to it. The story had some appeal (or I wouldn't have picked it up in the first place, or kept reading all FIVE HUNDRED pages of it after I did) but it needed some serious editing, in my opinion.
Fudge Cupcake Murder (Joanne Fluke) - This book keeps making me want to eat cookies.

WHAT WE ATE|
Still in Pennsylvania the first part of the week. Once we got back and got settled, it was easy meals, like rigatoni with sausage and roasted peppers, and a rotisserie chicken from the Publix deli. Maybe we'll be back on track next week?

CANDLE SCENTS|
Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin (BBW)
Autumn Wreath (YC) - Ahhhh, now we're getting into the autumn scents.
Spiced Pumpkin (YC) - Fitting, since it's pumpkin spice season, no?

WHAT THIS WEEK LOOKED LIKE|
Crossing a new baseball park *and* a new city off the list!


Totally cozy little ballpark, tucked right into the city!


I tried to keep my eyes open but the sun was so. bright.


It had rained and been grey and cold our whole trip to Pennsylvania, but we got a picture perfect day when we drove to Cleveland for the game!


When in Cleveland, on the last day that Don Orsillo is an announcer for the Red Sox, one gets a hot dog with Don's favorite mustard on it in tribute.


The Red Sox saluting Don Orsillo in the booth after the game. (It may have gotten a bit dusty in the park.)


And then a bunch of Red Sox fans lingered, cheering and chanting "DON-or-SILL-o!" All of a sudden, he leaned out the booth window, acknowledging us.


Sunset out the back window of the truck as we drove back to Pennsylvania.


Still jumping in leaves.


Red.


Chicago's O'Hare airport is the biggest airport I have ever seen. We taxied for forty minutes before we even reached out gate after landing.


Grill master Mickey!


20 years of EPCOT Food and Wine Fest.


Oh yeah! New month on the calendar! Love the color combo on this one.

0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP