Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Matsu debut

just a few quotes that i thoroughly enjoyed from an article about Matsuzaka's Fenway Park debut -- which is also worth reading in its entirety, by the way.

There is, of course, no better place for Old World and New Age to intersect. In this city, the cobblestones reek history. In this ballpark, the grass breathes tradition.

Most other places, it's just Opening Day. Here, it's Reaffirmation Day. New England looks ahead to the next seven months and reflects on the past decades, sons joined by blood to fathers, all joined by DNA to the Red Sox.

And it's not easy to upstage a Fenway Park opening, which typically includes everything except a reenactment of the Battle of Bunker Hill -- although, Donnelly and Guillen gave that a try on Tuesday.

"Many great pitchers have performed at Fenway Park. When I stand there, special emotions may come to me. This game means a lot more to me personally (than his debut in Kansas City). I think that [Fenway] is a sacred place." (Daisuke Matsuzaka)

Johjima has some simple advice to his Mariners teammates: "I would first tell them to pray."

3 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:45:00 PM  

Yep. Those Mariners had better pray... Let the painting of the corners begin!

Bart Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:58:00 PM  

Apparentely one Japanese guy is playing against some other Japanese guy, but I can't find ANYTHING about it.

Amy Thursday, April 12, 2007 10:16:00 AM  

I'll admit, prior to being a Red Sox fan, I was a Mariners fan (I had a cousin on the team, I come by it honestly enough!) so last night I found it very strange to not feel my loyalties divided (my cousin retired last year, I'm all Red Sox now!)

LOL at Bart. That's just too funny.

Loved watching last night. Immediately tried to figure out how I could squander tickets when we head up the coast in August...

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP