Monday, January 30, 2006

ouchie: the reprise

just a little follow up on the ouchie entry from the other day. it got bad. and i mean bad enough that i wasn't eating. (if you know me AT ALL you know this speaks volumes in & of itself). i don't know if it is just the worst one i've ever had or if it's the location of it making it more irritated or what but even drinking water was hurting. so on my weekly grocery store run, i caved & finally picked up something for the first time ever.

that little tube of Orajel Ultra claims that it has powerful pain relievers for fast-acting relief. sounded good to me! so i bought it & waited for dinner time so that it would be the most effective when i was trying to actually eat. we went to Planet Hollywood & i placed my order, then went to the bathroom to apply the magic numbing gel.

well. let me tell you. i put a little dot of that innocent-looking clear gel on the tip of my finger & then applied it to the canker sore. pain relief? i heard singing but it wasn't angels. i think it was demons straight out of hell. and maybe that was laughing more than singing. i saw stars. and speaking of hell, my mouth BURNED. my eyes watered. actually i think they almost bulged out of my head. and i stood there, mouth open, forming an O, in stunned silence. i think what they really meant was that this gel would cause a pain so blinding, you would forget about the canker sore. you would WISH for just the canker sore. my lower lip finally went blisfully numb but i am pretty sure that it had nothing to do with the "pain medication" or the "protective film". i think it just killed all the nerve endings all together.

i'll admit that i was able to eat my dinner without wanting to cry. but i think it might have been just out of fearing the thought of putting more of that fire gel in my mouth...oddly enough, i used it again this morning. it didn't hurt so bad. might have been because i had already assaulted the area with a good rinse of Listerine though. it's doing ok right now. i don't think i have feeling in my entire bottom lip. just ignore the drool if you would be so kind...

5 with their own thoughts:

*krystyn* Monday, January 30, 2006 10:13:00 AM  

I "feel" your pain - cankersores are the worst and I hope I don't get one anytime soon. Hang in there!

Anonymous,  Monday, January 30, 2006 10:34:00 AM  

I get 'em all the time. I had several straight for a month last month. I had FIVE at once (my record) when I was in sub-internship in med school (stress) so I know your pain. Try ZILACTIN - over the counter topical stuff. Good.

Michelle W. Monday, January 30, 2006 4:43:00 PM  

I'm not sure how I'm going to ignore the drooling. Wish I was there to take some pictures and scrap about it! lol.

Poor baby! Hugs and I'll try not to stare

Michelle

Abby Friday, February 03, 2006 9:36:00 AM  

I am dealing with these "suckers" at the moment myself...I use the Zilactin as mentioned before, I also use a mouthwash of pepto bismol, benadryl, and tetracycline that I was prescribed by a doctor once, it is nasty, but it seems to have a positive effect on them! Hope you feel better soon!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP