Wednesday, December 7, 2005

the first arrival of Christmas

Notes of Friendship
Lela Meredith

I treasure all my Christmas cards;
They mean so much to me,
Each one from someone special whom
I'd so much like to see.

Some come from friends I don't oft see--
They live too far away--
Their cards are like a friendly smile
That brightens Christmas Day.

The message each one brings to me
From friends on my own street,
Is like a gift that's wrapped with love,
Each one a yuletide treat.

I'm thankful for these lovely cards
That come to me each year--
These precious notes of friendship with
Their greetings of good cheer.

And I wish for you this Christmas all
The joy the season brings;
Peace, good health and lots of love--
The best of everything.

i said something earlier today about how Christmas is so rich in tradition & memories for me. one of those traditions is sending Christmas cards. ever since i was about 10 years old, i helped my Dad with this each December. he would buy a healthy stack of cards & books of holiday postage. he'd get out his little plastic pouch that held all the envelopes with their return addresses. he'd put on some Christmas music & pour us each a mug of hot spiced apple cider. we'd sit side by side at our kitchen table. he would sign the cards & put them in the envelopes, seal them & hand them to me. i would address the envelope & put a stamp on it. and we'd make a big stack to bring to the post office the next day.

i still do this. even though so many people have gotten away from this tradition, i still buy my boxes of Christmas cards, carefully selected, and i send them on their merry way. i love this tradition, especially now that i am so far away from so many of the important people in my life. and i always look forward to the cards that appear in my own mailbox. i got the first one today. and it put a big smile on my face. i love the anticipation of pulling the card out of it envelope to see what it looks like & this one most certainly did not disappoint. after all, who couldn't smile at these cuties?? =)


2 with their own thoughts:

Abby Thursday, December 08, 2005 2:39:00 AM  

Dawn, you never cease to amaze me with how eloquent you are with your words...I have so many of the same feelings about this time of year, but could never express myself thru words like you do! I love your post all about the Advent candles and it was so beautiful and now your story about doing Christmas cards...you truley have a special talent! Oh and btw your card is on its "merry way!"

Heather Thursday, December 08, 2005 6:20:00 AM  

OK now that this card has come our way I really see Alison in Tyler.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP