Tuesday, August 12, 2008

deconstructing my past

some things live happily in our memory, so perfect, so deeply ingrained in our psyche, that we cannot fathom them any other way. we cannot imagine why they would ever change. they are almost sacred to our hearts so that when they are thrust into view, the image is like the proverbial knife twisting slowly in your gut.

to those who would not know otherwise, this image would seem benign.

and yet to me, it is a tragedy of sorts. a seemingly innocent image is horrifying and yet i cannot look away, such are my efforts to try to understand.

this is wrong. it's all wrong.

you see... that house belonged to my grandparents. that house is where the vast majority of my childhood was spent. that house was nothing short of perfect in my mind's eye.

but time marches on relentlessly. the circle of life stole away the people who dwelt there so that they live only in the hearts of those who knew them. and new people live inside those walls now. new people to whom i desperately want to ask why.

why would you cut down those two white birch trees that my Gram loved?
why would you cut down those two stately evergreens that stood like sentinels in front of the house, protecting it from the whipping Winter winds, the noise of cars travelling on the road, the fierce sunlight that wanted to pour into the eastern-facing windows of the master bedroom as the sun would rise?
why would you cut down that lovely giant ash tree that stood at the corner of the driveway, casting shade over the front yard in the heat of the Summer?

the house looks so vulnerable. so naked. the yard empty, stripped of those gorgeous old trees... and it makes me sad.

i came home, aching to see the house and the front yard as i remember it. lush and full of life. i wanted to strike that new image from my mind and replace it with the one that lives in my memories. and so i turned to hundreds upon hundreds of photos, arranged neatly in boxes. i found the right box & began flipping through photographs, slowly at first, but then with more urgency. surely i had one... *one* photo showing the house as it ought to be. and as my fingers brushed the last photo in the box, it hit me. there is not one. not from the angle i wish to see it. so many photos of the house from other directions, of the backyard, the orchard, the gardens. but not a single solitary photo in my whole collection of that house i love with its beautiful front yard...

though i could have cried at this realization, i didn't. i just felt a little hollow. because i can picture it perfectly but without an actual photo in my hands, that memory will not survive after me. i cannot show the people who have since come into my life, or who have yet to do so, how it was, how it no longer is nor can ever be again...

pick up your cameras. pick them up & use them. capture these details of your life, no matter how silly they seem, no matter how mundane or trivial. their value increases with time, in ways you can't begin to imagine. someone will come after you who will cherish those same images that you took for granted. they will look at them with a warm heart & damp eyes. you cannot place a price on a memory. there can never be enough. even as blessed as i am that my grandparents took so many photos, there are *still* pieces missing that i would give anything to look at with gentle reminiscence now. their wisdom in capturing these minute details was lost on my youthful naivete for so long but now i understand with a bittersweet smile. it makes me want to wrap my arms around my precious memories, gathering close that which is most dear to me.

i find myself grasping at the few "almost" photos that reveal glimpses of what i can when i close my eyes. they are imperfect... and yet they are perfect in their own right. perfect in that they have captured even a corner of my life that no longer exists. see for yourself how full of life that empty yard above once was...



as something in me twists at the sight of that beloved piece of my past, forever lost to the passage of time & the changing of hands, i cannot help but to hear inside my mind, Steve Martin's character in the movie "Father of the Bride Part Two", as he rescues the house he loves at the very last moment before the wrecking ball makes contact, the house he thought he wanted to be rid of, the words tumbling forth...

"Don't bulldoze my memories, man."

23 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:16:00 AM  

Don't know if you've ever read this post on my labyrinthine blog, but your excellent post brought it to mind:

http://zerosummer.typepad.com/blog/2005/03/joes_kid_list_n.html

It sits atop my '50 childhood memories' list, and follows in the wake of 49 entries of sheer smartassery. Everyone who knows me knows I can't get that house out of my head.

In other news, tonight's goal: 37 runs! We can do it!

*krystyn* Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:02:00 AM  

In the new pic it doesn't even look like the house is white anymore? :-(

So sad...I was scrounging thru pics recently too for a pic of our house in Michigan. Didn't find the 'perfect' shot either, but one that would suffice.

Dawn Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:35:00 AM  

I have the same feelings as you when I drive by the house my grandmother lived in. The "new" owners cut down her holly tree that she loved so much.

More than that I have a hard time acepting the fact that strangers live in the house I grew up in. I know that they don't love it like I did. All of the memories that live in the walls of that house don't belong to them! It makes me very sad!

take care,
Dawn

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:05:00 AM  

Joe: If there are 37 runs tonight, they better all be ours becuse I can't take another one of those ganmes. I am off to check out that post as soon as I finish up here!

Krystyn: There are so many many things wrong with that first photo. Not only the color of the house but all the flower beds... gone... Makes me so glad I take a "ridiculous" number of photos.

Dawn: I know exactly what you mean. It feels like a violation to have people there that could just never understand...

Heather Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:33:00 PM  

wow not to make you sadder but it so does not look like the inviting home i would go to several times after school!

Chele76 Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:14:00 PM  

As soon as I saw the pic I honestly gasped. Why on Earth would anyone clear cut a beautiful yard like that? It's so sad to see the changes that they've made.

I'll have to dig through my photos. somethings tells me that I have a few of you up there. Probably not what you are looking to find... but who knows, maybe something.

Ted D Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:07:00 PM  

Dawn, that was one of my favorite post of yours. I do the same thing whenever I see the house I grew up in out in Oklahoma.

And I loved the part about remembering to take pictures. Life just flies by.

Rebecca Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:37:00 PM  

It's interesting to see how people either do, or don't take care of their homes. The images in your photos show clearly, love was put into the house and surrounding grounds - and love lived in the house.

We never know what goes on behind closed doors; maybe there just isnt the same kind of love living inside --and so that's being reflected on the outside as well.

It is sad to see how things change as life goes on...

Colleen Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:13:00 AM  

Dawn- Ohhhhhhh. THis is such an excellent post that you have written. Soemthing that should go in Home and Garden or something. I know exactly what you mean and appreciate that you mention that we should take photos of the things that caputre our attention. Even if they are small; because we will want them back some day. Oh and the ending is PREFECT. Love it. Really.

david mcmahon Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:34:00 AM  

Dear Dawn

Colleen told me I simply had to come over and read this - and I have to say you've touched my soul.

Anonymous,  Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:58:00 AM  

I have no idea why I'm crying at this post. Maybe becuz like you said "time marches on" or maybe just becuz I'm hormonal. Either way, Dawn, you manage to say so eloquently what most of us feel in our hearts. You make me want to run outside with my camera right this very minute and snap pictures of my shoddy grass, and mossy roof and ugly bushes in front of my house...becuz some day my memories of my first house will fail me and I want to remember every square inch of it!!!

JMP Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:37:00 PM  

Wow, Great post Dawn,
I had the same thing happen after my Parents sold their house of 40 years.
New people came in and ripped out all the old stately trees, ripped out the brick chimney and did so many changes that its a totally different house. There really is no going home now.
Now ya made me cry!!!

Jeanne Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:21:00 PM  

You know the first pic doesn't look benign at all to me, it looks abandoned of life and love. So sorry it spoiled your memory.
In other news, did you hear about 'Tek? Him and his wife splitting.

Nichole M Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:03:00 PM  

Unless trees are diseased or threatening a building, I will *never* understand why people cut them down. NEVER.

Thanks for nudging me to take more photos. I just feel so goofy sometimes taking pictures about "nothing." But they really aren't nothing, are they? And, as Ward Cleaver once said, "You're never too old to do goofy stuff."

~**Dawn**~ Friday, August 15, 2008 6:53:00 AM  

Heather: I know! Doesn't it look so sad now?

Chele: Thank you for saying that. It is *exactly* the way I felt. I'm glad I'm not just romanticizing the place in my head.

Thank you, Ted. And if this "before & after" photo set doesn't illustrate perfectly the importance of photos, I don't know what does. Time does fly & sometimes the changes are *not* for the better.

Rebecca: That is *exactly* how I feel. Thank you for putting it into words. I was so shocked, I couldn't even really say how I felt looking at it. They did love their home & property. Every inch of it. And it showed. It flourished & the house was filled with love. Not it looks forlorn.

Collen: Thank you, friend. It's funny how those little things we take for granted are the ones of real value, isn't it?

David: That is quite a compliment, coming from an accomplished author! I am honored that you feel that way.

April: Sometimes these posts just pour out. Raw thought that can't be held back. It amazes me that anyone finds it eloquent--thank you. =) And yes! Take photos! Someday you will look back & share them with the people you love & all you will see are the walls that housed a million wonderful memories.

JMP: Awww! I'm sorry! I think that's what really got me was that I hadn't been there since I moved down here & my grandparents passed away. Now I am not sure I ever want to see it in person again. After what these new owners did, there really is no going back.

Jeanne: It really does look empty & sad now. I hate that it has to be that way but I am glad it's not just my imagination (if that makes sense). Oh no!! They are?? What is she thinking?! (I wonder why I am incapable of imagining it could possibly be Tek's "fault"...)

Nichole: That is exactly it. I cannot imagine that every single tree in that yard *needed* to be removed. And if that were the case, why would you not replace them with new ones for future generations? For the longest time, I used to feel silly taking out my camera, wondering what people must think. After a while though, I realized: who cares?? Are they ever going to see me again? And if they are, I would hope that they wouldn't judge me for wanting to permanently capture something I was seeing, even if I was the only one who did. We all take unique paths through life & will see even the same things differently. I love that a photo will show the viewers something *exactly* as I saw it. The more photos I take, the less I care if people think I am silly--and it's instances like this that reinforce it for me.

lime Friday, August 15, 2008 8:31:00 AM  

here via david's.

the thing is you have the image perfectly captured in your mind's eye. i'm not sure any photograph could have captured the sight properly. still i feel your pain over the "destruction" of the beauty of the property. that's an awfully hard thing to witness.

katherine. Friday, August 15, 2008 12:43:00 PM  

I was sent by david as well...smile

this post really touched me...my grandfather passed away...and I have been thinking about them...and looking a pictures a great deal lately!

Sandi McBride Friday, August 15, 2008 5:42:00 PM  

The wise David sent me over...and it seems his Picks of the Day all have something relevant to my life. My Grandparents house means the world to me and I don't believe it has changed in all this time...it has passed down through the family and since it is family, we all love it just the way it is...white cedar sided house on a hill, two stories, large front porch huge pines in back graceful elms in front...I loved this post, it reminds me of what's important.
Sandi

Cath Friday, August 15, 2008 5:59:00 PM  

That is an excellent post and brilliant advice. I have a similar situation with the house I was brought up in. It is horrible to have no control over the erasure of what once was such a big part of my life, and I too fervently searched for photos only to find I didn't have the "one".
That is why I have spent most of my life photographing things. For a while I stopped, but I photograph again now, and I tell my children when they say "Aw not again mum!" that they will thank me one day. I know they will.

Anonymous,  Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:10:00 PM  

My guess is that the two evergreen trees and the ash were cut down because someone told them that the house was in peril by falling branches from a snow or ice storm.

Thing is, gram and gramp were always aware of that danger, which is why they cut down one of the ashes in the front yard and the tree that used to stand on one end of the driveway.

But those trees were both dying back in the day and should hav come down. The ash and two pine trees in question were not--or at least definitely not the pines.

The cutting of the birches and the bushes: totally unnecessary, and unforgivable.

I pray that God makes me successful so that I might buy back this property if the oppurtunity arises.

Colleen Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:35:00 PM  

FYI- I nominated you for POTD at David's blog when I read this :)

kreed Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:22:00 PM  

Your post captured the feelings that I have had going back to my grandparents old house - it is an awful feeling when you are looking for those memories and all you find is a bunch of horrifying changes. I am sorry...

gail@more than a song Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:17:00 AM  

Aww, nice post Dawn! It made me teary....and maybe one day I'll be glad of all the strange photos I've taken. Maybe I need to actually take more! It's always hard to see something from our past and it not look the same anymore or how you remembered it.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP